A changing of the guard

Russell Keith-Magee

Apr 12, 2010, 10:39:52 AM4/12/10
to django-e...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

This is a quick note to let you all know that I am formally stepping
down as a project maintainer of Django Evolution.

This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone - there hasn't been any
significant development work done on Evolution in over a year. My
personal commitments and my work on Django core are absorbing all my
free time at present. As a result, I can't give Evolution the
attention it needs or deserves, especially given the changes that will
be required to update Evolution to work with Django 1.2.

I am handing the reigns over to Christian Hammond (chipx86), who
joined the project a little over a year ago. Christian has a vested
interest in Evolution -- he uses it as part of Review Board. I'll
leave it up to Christian to declare his intentions regarding the
future of the project.

I hope you will join me in wishing Christian all the best maintaining
Evolution into the future.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

Christian Hammond

Apr 12, 2010, 8:33:10 PM4/12/10
to django-e...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Let me start off by thanking Russell for his years of work on both Django Evolution and Django. When I first discovered Django Evolution, it was a godsend, as my project (Review Board) was growing larger and larger and we needed some form of schema migration to replace our slow DB dump/load migration scripts. Without Russell's work, we wouldn't have been able to support as many databases as we do.

So, just a quick introduction. Hi, I'm Christian Hammond, lead developer of Review Board (a Django-based tool for assisting in code reviews), and a developer at VMware. Been using Django and Django Evolution for a few years now. I'm generally a pretty busy guy, so I welcome contributions.

It seems these days that a lot of effort is being put into South. I'm not looking to turn Django Evolution into a major South competitor. My goals for the project are to keep it maintained and up-to-date with new Django releases, as well as incorporate bug fixes and perform semi-frequent releases. Maybe a new feature or two here and there. There are many sites dependent on Django Evolution these days, and some are harder than others to migrate to other systems, so while this remains the case we'll keep the project going.

Short-term, I'll be committing a couple of my local branches for some pyflakes cleanups, adding scripts to easily run the test suite straight from a fresh checkout, and some work I'm doing for improved Django 1.2 compatibility (once I fix a bug or two I'm still struggling with).

Longer-term, I'd like to put out a release (once we have decent Django 1.2 compatibility), and make it easy_installable. I'd also like to start moving patch review from the bug tracker onto a Review Board server, making it easier to keep up with contributions to the codebase. I'm planning on going through the bug tracker and looking into some of the patches up there to see if they still apply, and getting some unit tests for the bugs they fix.

And... I guess that's it. Thanks!

Christian

--
Christian Hammond - chi...@chipx86.com