Sequence of Mutations

Thomas Guettler

Oct 23, 2009, 10:32:44 AM10/23/09
to django-e...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

My project contains one core-application and a second application (an
extension to the core app).

during development I did these mutations
1. core-app add field newfield
2. extension-app update newfield
3. core-app create a check-constraint on newfield.

If I try to run evolve -x, the mutation fails because the
extension-app evolution is done later.

I helped myself by uncommenting the check-constraint first,
and then rerun evolve -x.

BTW: The error messages don't show which evolution is broken. I get this:

Error applying evolution: FEHLER: ... postgres error message

The option --traceback gets ignored.

I don't want to be rude, but is this project still active? What do you think about
south: http://south.aeracode.org/

Thomas

--
Thomas Guettler, http://www.thomas-guettler.de/

Russell Keith-Magee

Oct 24, 2009, 8:09:59 PM10/24/09
On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 10:32 PM, Thomas Guettler <h...@tbz-pariv.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My project contains one core-application and a second application (an
> extension to the core app).
>
> during development I did these mutations
>  1. core-app add field newfield
>  2. extension-app update newfield
>  3. core-app create a check-constraint on newfield.
>
> If I try to run evolve -x, the mutation fails because the
> extension-app evolution is done later.
>
> I helped myself by uncommenting the check-constraint first,
> and then rerun evolve -x.
>
> BTW: The error messages don't show which evolution is broken. I get this:
>
> Error applying evolution: FEHLER:  ... postgres error message
>
> The option --traceback gets ignored.

As always, the right place to report these is the ticket database.

> I don't want to be rude, but is this project still active? What do you think about
> south: http://south.aeracode.org/

Unfortunately, I haven't had much of a chance to play with South at
any level deeper than the tutorial. However, from my limited tinkering
and reading, it seems to be very promising.

My perception is that it's not perfect - but then, neither is
Evolution. However, I know Andrew, and he is a smart guy, so I'm sure
he'll be able to resolve these issues as they arise.

More importantly, Andrew has got the time to dedicate to the project.
By comparison, I simply don't have enough time to dedicate to
improving Evolution. Maintaining Django itself is currently consuming
all my spare time.

As much as I would like to see Evolution take over the world, it is my
overwhelming perception is that South has won this particular race.
For some reason (which I still don't understand), Evolution got tagged
with the 'magic' moniker. As a result it was shunned by a lot of
people. When I have heard the Pinax guys talk about possibly
introducing schema migration, they talk about South - not Evolution.

So - the future of Evolution isn't especially rosy. Most of all, it
needs some developer love. If you (or anyone else in the community) is
particularly invested in Evolution, now would be a very good time to
step up and offer to help in a big way.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

Thomas Guettler

Mar 23, 2010, 11:30:51 AM3/23/10
Russell Keith-Magee wrote:

> Unfortunately, I haven't had much of a chance to play with South at
> any level deeper than the tutorial. However, from my limited tinkering
> and reading, it seems to be very promising.

Hi,

I use south now since several months, and it works very good.

You can handle schema and data updates. It works with custom
database fields and the autodetection of changes is good, too.