Use of TIME_INPUT_FORMATS in TimeField

Arthur Pemberton

Mar 5, 2024, 2:43:22ā€ÆAMMar 5
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
The documentation (https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/5.0/ref/forms/fields/#timefield) says that " the default input formats are taken from the active locale format TIME_INPUT_FORMATS key, or from TIME_INPUT_FORMATS if localization is disabled". However, neither my reading of the code, or my actual experience shows settings.TIME_INPUT_FORMATS ever being used, even with "USE_I18N = False"

TimeField gets the formats from `input_formats = formats.get_format_lazy("TIME_INPUT_FORMATS")` which is a lazy version of `formats.get_format` -- the documentation of which says "If use_l10n is provided and is not None, it forces the value to be localized (or not), otherwise it's always localized."

so even with "USE_I18N = False" settings.TIME_INPUT_FORMATS seems to be ignored.

How does one use settings.TIME_INPUT_FORMATS ?

Arthur Pemberton

David Sanders

Mar 5, 2024, 3:00:43ā€ÆAMMar 5
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Define TIME_INPUT_FORMATS in your local formats.py setup as per:Ā https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/5.0/topics/i18n/formatting/#creating-custom-format-files

Arthur Pemberton

Mar 5, 2024, 3:48:58ā€ÆAMMar 5
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, I'll look into that. But does that mean that settings.TIME_INPUT_FORMATS no longerĀ has any use? I don't see any logic flows that lead to it being used.

Adam Johnson

Mar 5, 2024, 3:41:10ā€ÆPMMar 5
to Arthur Pemberton, django-d...@googlegroups.com
USE_I18N does not disable localization, but internationalization. USE_L10N was the setting to enable/disable localization, but it was deprecated in Django 4.0: https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/4.0/releases/4.0/#localization . It was removed completely in Django 5.0, in this commit: https://github.com/django/django/commit/8d98f99a4ab5de6f2c730399f53eba8bf6bea470 .

So I think the phrase ā€œif localization is disabledā€ is at least a little bit wrong. But I donā€™t think the setting is ignored, as there are tests confirming that it works: https://github.com/django/django/blob/8d98f99a4ab5de6f2c730399f53eba8bf6bea470/tests/forms_tests/tests/test_input_formats.py#L123-L125 . The line that reads the setting should be this one: https://github.com/django/django/blob/8d98f99a4ab5de6f2c730399f53eba8bf6bea470/django/utils/formats.py#L132 .

If you can provide a failing minimal project, that would be useful to keep debugging. I have some minimal django project templates at https://github.com/adamchainz/django-startproject-templates .

Arthur Pemberton

May 18, 2024, 4:14:37ā€ÆPMMay 18
to Adam Johnson, django-d...@googlegroups.com
I haven't yet checked the tests thoroughly enough to determine why things didn't work for me in practice. I do know they didn't work. And I do see that the tests pass. But I suspect that the tests may not be fully mimicking the read-world use case in this scenario.

I'll return here once I have some evidence either way,

Arthur Pemberton

Natraj Kavander

May 18, 2024, 9:06:33ā€ÆPMMay 18
to django-d...@googlegroups.com, Adam Johnson