Policy for Duplicate Tickets - Bug vs. Feature Request

35 views
Skip to first unread message

Michael Radziej

unread,
Apr 21, 2011, 9:13:53 PM4/21/11
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm trying to review ticket #10899, which is about a small bug in the
test client. The reporter also provided a simple patch and a regression test.

There's also a 2 years old feature request ticket that is about the same
area, and implementing the feature would also fix the bug. So Jacob has
closed the bug ticket as duplicate. The reporter has reopened the bug
because a bug ticket cannot be a duplicate of a feature ticket.

Now--how do we want to deal with this? In the user's view, there's a
bug, and it should be fixed and not put into the feature request
queue. In the developer's view, it looks like duplicate work.

My proposal is:

If the bug is really bad or the fix looks simple, fix the bug. Else,
close it as duplicate, but keep the tickets consistent for the users and
promote the feature request to a bug ticket.

Is this OK for you?


Kind regards

Michael

Alex Gaynor

unread,
Apr 21, 2011, 9:16:50 PM4/21/11
to django-d...@googlegroups.com

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to django-d...@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to django-develop...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/django-developers?hl=en.


Did you link the wrong ticket?  Jacob doesn't appear to have ever commented on it.

Alex

--
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (summarizing Voltaire)
"The people's good is the highest law." -- Cicero

Michael Radziej

unread,
Apr 21, 2011, 9:19:12 PM4/21/11
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 21:16:50 -0400, Alex Gaynor <alex....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Did you link the wrong ticket? Jacob doesn't appear to have ever commented
> on it.

Args, yeah.

Ticket #15740 is the right one ...


Sorry

Michael

Jacob Kaplan-Moss

unread,
Apr 21, 2011, 10:33:45 PM4/21/11
to django-developers
On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 8:13 PM, Michael Radziej <m...@spieleck.de> wrote:
> If the bug is really bad or the fix looks simple, fix the bug. Else,
> close it as duplicate, but keep the tickets consistent for the users and
> promote the feature request to a bug ticket.
>
> Is this OK for you?

That's more or less how I look at things, with one additional caveat:
if a bug fix would be truly redundant compared to adding a new
feature, and if the new feature's reasonable in scope, I just don't
see the point in half-fixing something. That's what's at play in this
situation, for me: the small fix, while easy enough, is completely
superseded by the new feature, and in fact would basically have to be
backed out to get the feature in. And the feature itself is easy
enough, close to done, and all in a all a good idea.

I'll let others weight in here if they want, but my opinion here is
that we should focus attention on the bigger issue and get that fixed.
Killing more birds with one stone seems a better use of development
effort.

Jacob

Michael Radziej

unread,
Apr 22, 2011, 6:14:32 AM4/22/11
to django-developers
On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 21:33:45 -0500, Jacob Kaplan-Moss <ja...@jacobian.org> wrote:
> That's more or less how I look at things, with one additional caveat:

Thanks for the clarification, Jacob.


Kind regards

Michael

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages