status of 1.10 release blockers

717 views
Skip to first unread message

Tim Graham

unread,
May 14, 2016, 7:40:32 PM5/14/16
to Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
Time to kickoff the progress tracker for the next major release!

At this time, I'm considering master feature frozen besides the tickets marked "ready for checkin" [1] and those tagged "1.10" [2]. Let me know if I missed anything critical.

I'll continue working with the ticket owners to polish those patches. I'll also continue merging bug fixes until we create the stable/1.10 branch and issue the alpha release, which I'd like to do sometime next week.

[1] https://code.djangoproject.com/query?status=assigned&status=new&stage=Ready+for+checkin&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=owner&col=type&col=version&order=priority
[2] https://code.djangoproject.com/query?status=assigned&status=new&keywords=~1.10&stage=Accepted&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=owner&col=type&col=version&col=changetime&desc=1&order=changetime

Tim Graham

unread,
May 18, 2016, 10:03:17 PM5/18/16
to Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
A couple issues remain before the alpha release:

Issue: Fixing some new-style SessionMiddleware to process the response even if the view raises an exception.
Status: This is somewhat in design decision needed if anyone would like to take a look and offer feedback. I'll look at it more closely tomorrow.
https://github.com/django/django/pull/6618

Issue: Made CSRF tokens change every request.
Status: Awaiting final (trivial, I believe) updates from Shai.
https://github.com/django/django/pull/5605

Issue: i18n test failures on Windows
Status: Awaiting someone with interest in Windows i18n to investigate. I'm not considering this a blocker for the release (alpha or otherwise) since we can't guarantee sometime with Windows expertise to fix the issue.
https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/25677

I hope to resolve these issues and make the alpha release tomorrow or Friday.

Tim Graham

unread,
May 19, 2016, 2:08:59 PM5/19/16
to Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
The CSRF patch is merged. I'm a bit stuck on the middleware one, however, I don't think it's a blocker for alpha. I think I'll create the stable branch and make the release later today (in about 7 hours), unless there are objections.

Tim Graham

unread,
Jun 17, 2016, 10:52:50 AM6/17/16
to Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
There are a few small issues to finish up, but if all goes well, the beta release will happen sometime tomorrow (at least 24 hours from now).

Claude Paroz

unread,
Jun 17, 2016, 5:33:04 PM6/17/16
to Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
Le vendredi 17 juin 2016 16:52:50 UTC+2, Tim Graham a écrit :
There are a few small issues to finish up, but if all goes well, the beta release will happen sometime tomorrow (at least 24 hours from now).

I'm a bit worried about https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/26719 which could have security implications for 1.10. To be investigated...

Claude

Tim Graham

unread,
Jun 18, 2016, 8:05:32 PM6/18/16
to Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
I'm postponing the release until next week as some release blockers remain:

https://code.djangoproject.com/query?status=!closed&severity=Release%20blocker

Tim Graham

unread,
Jun 20, 2016, 9:10:12 PM6/20/16
to Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
The remaining blocker:

UserCreationForm doesn't call normalize_email and normalize_username
https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/26719
Status: I sent some final edits to the PR and it should be ready for commit tomorrow.

Other possible blockers:

Different manager for _base_manager and related descriptors
https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/26749
django-hvad is broken by the manager inheritance refactor and it's unclear if it can be adapted for the new behavior.

Update decorator_from_middleware() to work with DEP5 style middleware.
https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/26626
Design decision needed, see https://groups.google.com/d/topic/django-developers/hNQIaYcN3xM/discussion

As long as no new issues pop up by tomorrow, I'm thinking to do the beta release then. We might consider a "beta 2" release around 2 weeks later if we decide to push fixes for the other two issues.

Tim Graham

unread,
Jun 21, 2016, 4:29:47 PM6/21/16
to Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
The blocker is merged so I'll release the beta in a couple hours if no one stops me.

Tim Graham

unread,
Jul 14, 2016, 9:41:51 AM7/14/16
to Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
I'm planning for the release candidate on Monday.

The one blocker is #26888 - RegexURLResolver doesn't work in threaded environments.

Markus Holtermann

unread,
Jul 14, 2016, 10:05:39 AM7/14/16
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the update, Tim.

#26888 will be taken care of by tomorrow. Either Marten or I are pushing
a PR.

Cheers,

/Markus

On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 06:41:51AM -0700, Tim Graham wrote:
>I'm planning for the release candidate on Monday.
>
>The one blocker is #26888 <https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/26888> -
>--
>You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)" group.
>To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to django-develop...@googlegroups.com.
>To post to this group, send email to django-d...@googlegroups.com.
>Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/django-developers.
>To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/94dd42e9-6940-4377-bd8e-7b285d0a63bc%40googlegroups.com.
>For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

signature.asc

Tim Graham

unread,
Jul 30, 2016, 9:20:46 PM7/30/16
to Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
The final release is on schedule for Monday, August 1.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
0 new messages