Django's automatic admin interface.

Dipankar

Apr 19, 2023, 5:27:55 AM4/19/23
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Is there any plan to replace Django's automatic admin interface with the latest front end technology?
There are several packages available but what if Django itself provides the same as core.

--
Warm Regards,
Dipankar B.

David Sanders

Apr 19, 2023, 5:31:05 AM4/19/23
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dipankar,

Not being rude but serious question: What's the latest front end technology? :)

Dipankar

Apr 19, 2023, 5:45:44 AM4/19/23
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Sorry if my question is wrong.. .. Not exactly technology I wanted to know about the frontend framework like tailwindCSS,react or Vue.

In nutshell I want admin interface with tailwindCSS/React/Vue. any suggestion ?

Tom Carrick

Apr 19, 2023, 6:07:21 AM4/19/23
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
IMO, if we were going to modernise the admin (which is laudable), it wouldn't be by using JS frameworks or Tailwind, but by simplifying things further, by removing the last bits of JQuery, simplifying the HTML and making it more semantic, and rewriting the CSS to use a grid based layout and cut down the amount of code that is needed to achieve the same result.

I don't have anything against Tailwind or Vue per së, but forcing every Django project to have them in the backend seems too opinionated and too much of a maintenance burden.

As you mentioned, there are already opinionated packages out there, I'm happy they exist, but in my opinion they belong in external packages, not in core.

Tom

Matthew Pava

Apr 19, 2023, 9:55:58 AM4/19/23
to django-d...@googlegroups.com

I agree with your sentiment, Tom. I would add that we could get a more “SPA-feel” by using HTML over the wire or htmx, which requires minimal JavaScript.

Dipankar

Apr 20, 2023, 6:15:31 AM4/20/23
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Thank you all or your comments .. I am happy to hear about wire or htmx @Matthew. I want to do it for myself if I get a little bit clue from you. Thanks a lot.