Django Framework Feedback

Bridget Kelly O'Sheehan

Jan 20, 2022, 10:36:49 AM1/20/22
Not sure if this came through to the group earlier as just joined
----------

Hi Django Devs,

Any chance you can consider building these points into Django for the future for us to use?
  • User Friendly Website -
    • I'm sure that Django probably wasn't built for Visual Programmers but I seem to be one, weirdly enough I learnt more Django faster than python but when it comes to the Django Shell/ Python Terminal - The examples on your website - Either confuse me or I don't understand them, not because of you but me. Could you draw an example even if it was a diagram as it would help others like me to be able to absorb it better (more like real use examples than the hello world stuff).
    • Flutter Example  - https://docs.flutter.dev/cookbook/design/snackbars - Flutters very simple to learn because people can 'visualise' it off their website or even draw their own picture/diagram but with django, sometimes you have no idea where to start.

  • Reusable component templates
    • Allow reusable components - e.g so if someone wants to build their own 'template block library of html components e.g navbars in navbar.html') and import from the same file  - Let them, I think this would be a great idea for Django and for a framework which is built on pure Python (clearly doesn't adhere to the python peps) dry and repeating yourself.  - see attached screenshot - Only other way is by doing this is building my own templating engine - long winded or as another dev said that's why they chose to react as 'django beats you into submission'. - correct there because now I'm having to repeat doing what I'm twice or even more times because of what im building and the scale of it.
  • Contact us / feedback  - Do you know it's not very easy to find a place to recommend feedback? - Also list the django Discord channel on the website

Screenshot 2022-01-20 at 14.16.51.png
Screenshot 2022-01-20 at 13.21.21.png

Adam Johnson

Jan 20, 2022, 2:06:35 PM1/20/22
Welcome!

Thank you for trying to improve Django. I can see you are frustrated with a few things.

Django is made by a community of volunteers. So your suggestions - there isn't anyone responsible for making them, per se. But the good news is, you have the power to contribute too!

For your suggestions:
1. As I understand, you'd like more interactive or visual examples. We have *some* diagrams in the docs, but not many. They're harder to maintain. If you have a concrete proposal of some diagrams to add I'm sure people would be interested in reviewing them.

2. “Reusable components” are a suggestion that has come up in many different forms. There are several third party packages out there, e.g. https://www.django-unicorn.com/ . Have you explored these? A proposal to add something to Django itself would need some research.

3. Places to give feedback - it varies. We don't really talk about "feedback" but instead "contributing", because Django is community driven.

There are many different ways to contribute to Django - the forum, blogging, translating, documenting, writing code, and more. Our Contributing Guide can help you get started with many of these: https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/stable/internals/contributing/

If you’re looking to work with the code base (for documentation or code), check out the “Advice for New Contributors” section: https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/stable/internals/contributing/new-contributors/ . Then see if you can work through the “Writing Your First Patch” tutorial: https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/stable/intro/contributing/ .

I hope this helps answer your questions, and that you can contribute. If you get stuck or have questions, post back here or in the “Mentorship” section on the forum: https://forum.djangoproject.com/c/internals/mentorship/10

Hope that helps,

Adam