GSOC Proposal : Adding a Redis cache backend to Core

Daniyal Abbasi

Mar 31, 2021, 7:02:05 PM3/31/21
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hey
I am an aspirant  for GSOC 2021. I was really interested in the project "Adding a Redis cache backend to Core" as I myself have used third party libraries to integrate redis as a caching backend. A link to by draft proposal can be found here. I have shared this draft proposal to the gsoc dashboard too.

Regards,
Daniyal Abbasi

Daniyal Abbasi

Apr 7, 2021, 6:04:10 PM4/7/21
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi
Since redis does not support complex objects, we need to serialize the data into a suitable format. Most third-party libraries use either the pickle module, to serialize the values or use json / yaml serializers. I want to move ahead with using the pickle module. However, does it seem necessary to add support for other serializers ( json / yaml / msgpack ) as well?

Regards,
Daniyal Abbasi

charettes

Apr 8, 2021, 10:12:32 AM4/8/21
Hello Daniyal,

> I want to move ahead with using the pickle module. However, does it seem necessary to add support for other serializers ( json / yaml / msgpack ) as well?

I don't think that adding support for configurable serialization is necessary for this project. Don't get me wrong, I think it'd be great if cache backends allowed for their serialization to be configured but I think it's out of scope for this project as no other core backends do so.

Cheers,
Simon