Django "makemigrations -- update" donot working

Saifullah Shahen

Apr 6, 2023, 5:57:43 PM4/6/23
in my custom user model, initially, my model looks like this

class User(AbstractUser, BaseModelWithUUID):
    phone = models.CharField(max_length=11, validators=[validate_phone_number])
I do command "makemigrations" which create a initial migration file

but after updating my model like this

class User(AbstractUser, BaseModelWithUUID):
    phone = models.CharField(max_length=11, validators=[validate_phone_number])
    name = models.CharField(max_length=255)

after adding a field "name" when i run "makemigrations --update" it shows a error:

CommandError: Cannot update applied migration 'authentication.0001_initial'.

Dipankar

Apr 8, 2023, 12:32:30 AM4/8/23
to django-d...@googlegroups.com

Warm Regards,
Dipankar B.

Muhammad Juwaini Abdul Rahman

Apr 8, 2023, 10:50:17 AM4/8/23
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Do you need that '--update' parameter?

David Wobrock

Apr 9, 2023, 4:21:03 PM4/9/23
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

As you can see, the error message seems quite clear:
> Cannot update applied migration 'authentication.0001_initial'.
One cannot edit a migration that has already been applied.
To update it, you can undo it by running "migrate authentication zero" and then run "makemigrations --update" again.

I do not think it's a bug in Django.

Cheers,
David

Adam Johnson

Apr 11, 2023, 11:15:30 AM4/11/23
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Indeed, David is right. The --update flag is intended for developing a feature branch and adding extra changes to a work-in-progress migration. This is why it requires the migration to not be applied.