Status of 4.1 pre-release.

Carlton Gibson

May 10, 2022, 9:53:59 AM5/10/22
Hi all.

Time to begin release process for the next major release, Django 4.1!

It's been an incredible cycle with (again) a staggering number of
contributions. Thank you everyone!

The 4.1 feature freeze is scheduled (according to https://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/Version4.1Roadmap) for Tuesday May 17. I'd
like to release the alpha that day, but it may be Wednesday or Thursday.

There have been a number of changes improving the accessibility of the default
form rendering (tickets #32338 and #32229) for which there's a deprecation and
docs changes pending to round-off.

We want to get as far as we can on that. It's being worked on here: https://github.com/django/django/pull/15665

We also have a couple of release blockers that we'd like to resolve this week
so that we can release clean.

Both Mariusz and I have a short-list of further tickets that have been
bubbling: we'll get as far as we can on those. We've both been head-down
working hard towards the feature freeze for a number of weeks. It's coming
together well, but all I can say is sorry if your particular ticket doesn't
make it this time.

As per the roadmap, we have pre-releases through June and July, targeting
August 3 for Django 4.1 final.

Please test early and often.

We will use this thread to inform you of any changes to the schedule.

Thanks again. It wouldn't be possible without you! 🎁

Kind Regards,

Carlton

Jacob Rief

May 11, 2022, 3:04:50 AM5/11/22
Hi Carlton,
there is somehow a contradiction:

Better yet, find someone to review your patch and mark the ticket as "Ready for checkin".

states:

’m sure my ticket is absolutely 100% perfect, can I mark it as “Ready For Checkin” myself?

Sorry, no. It’s always better to get another set of eyes on a ticket. If you’re having trouble getting that second set of eyes, see questions above.

I'm actually asking, because of this I left one of my tickets on "Accepted".

Kind Regards,
Jacob

Mariusz Felisiak

May 11, 2022, 3:33:14 AM5/11/22
Yes, you shouldn't mark your patches as RFC.

  "Better yet, find someone to review your patch and mark the ticket as "Ready for checkin".

Was supposed to mean: find someone who can review your patch and who will mark the ticket as RFC.

Best,
Mariusz

Carlton Gibson

May 11, 2022, 3:33:56 AM5/11/22
Hi Jacob.

I've always taken it that the person reviewing will do the marking. (I.e. I don't read it as saying, "Find someone to review it and then mark it RFC yourself", which would contradict the note in the FAQ yes.)

#32559 is on my list. IIRC it was there bar a few last tweaks, so I wanted (want) to get it resolved.
C.

thinkwel...@gmail.com

May 11, 2022, 7:53:48 AM5/11/22
Will the psycopg3 backend land in time for the 4.1 release?  I'm looking forward to it, as it should support PyPy much better than psycopg2 does.

Carlton Gibson

May 11, 2022, 8:04:20 AM5/11/22
On Wed, 11 May 2022 at 13:53, thinkwel...@gmail.com <thinkwel...@gmail.com> wrote:
Will the psycopg3 backend land in time for the 4.1 release?  I'm looking forward to it, as it should support PyPy much better than psycopg2 does.

No. It's not been worked on recently as far as I know. Next step would be someone to pick the preliminary work up and push it forward. (A major feature like that isn't something we'd add to the roster the week before the feature freeze: we'd likely see it coming the whole release cycle.)

thinkwel...@gmail.com

May 12, 2022, 7:33:38 AM5/12/22
> Next step would be someone to pick the preliminary work up and push it forward.

I guess I thought the "preliminary work" was already done. There's a driver written, and a PR for a django backend.

I'd asked [Daniel Varrazzo](https://github.com/dvarrazzo/django-psycopg3-backend/issues/6) if he was planning to do it, and he said:

> I am not actively working with the Django developers: I wrote the driver and the first iteration of the backend but I left the ball in their field. I give them feedback when they ask, but I'm not doing more than this.

> You should hear from the Django project about their plans.

Florian Apolloner

May 12, 2022, 7:56:45 AM5/12/22
On Thursday, May 12, 2022 at 1:33:38 PM UTC+2 thinkwel...@gmail.com wrote:
> Next step would be someone to pick the preliminary work up and push it forward.

I guess I thought the "preliminary work" was already done. There's a driver written, and a PR for a django backend.

I don't think there is a PR anywhere yet. The preliminary work is indeed done (or mostly, I do not know the full state of https://github.com/dvarrazzo/django-psycopg3-backend/ ), but as Carlton pointed out it now needs someone to make a proper PR out of it. That one could be you!

Cheers,
Florian