Packaging

Stefan Kögl

Jul 21, 2011, 10:18:54 AM7/21/11
to django-cou...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I was preparing to package the current version of django-couchdb-utils
and put it on PyPI, just to get some exposure and make it easier for
people to find the library.

However, I still have some questions that I'd like to discuss with you

* Who shall we name as the main author? Thejaswi, is it OK if I use
your name and email address as you initiated the project?

* What shall I use as the website? Shall I use Thejaswi's GitHub repo,
or mine (as I'll do the packaging from there), or shall we set up a
simple page?

* What License shall we use for the library? I'd propose LGPL, but I'm
open for other suggestions.

-- Stefan

Martin Matusiak

Jul 21, 2011, 11:07:18 AM7/21/11
2011/7/21 Stefan Kögl <ste...@skoegl.net>:

> Hi,
>
> I was preparing to package the current version of django-couchdb-utils and
> put it on PyPI, just to get some exposure and make it easier for people to
> find the library.
>
> However, I still have some questions that I'd like to discuss with you
>
> * Who shall we name as the main author? Thejaswi, is it OK if I use
>  your name and email address as you initiated the project?
>
> * What shall I use as the website? Shall I use Thejaswi's GitHub repo,
>  or mine (as I'll do the packaging from there), or shall we set up a
>  simple page?

Yeah, it makes sense that Thejaswi is the main author and his repo is
the "Linus repo". We could also add the url of the mailing list in the
README.

> * What License shall we use for the library? I'd propose LGPL, but I'm
>  open for other suggestions.

As far as I know there is already a (BSD like) license file in the
codebase, I presume we have been (unwittingly or otherwise) working
under that one.

Martin

Thejaswi Puthraya

Jul 21, 2011, 11:39:26 AM7/21/11

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 7:48 PM, Stefan Kögl <ste...@skoegl.net> wrote:
Hi,

I was preparing to package the current version of django-couchdb-utils and put it on PyPI, just to get some exposure and make it easier for people to find the library.

However, I still have some questions that I'd like to discuss with you

* Who shall we name as the main author? Thejaswi, is it OK if I use
 your name and email address as you initiated the project?

Please feel free to use your name.

* What shall I use as the website? Shall I use Thejaswi's GitHub repo,
 or mine (as I'll do the packaging from there), or shall we set up a
 simple page?

Use the repo from which you are performing the packaging.

* What License shall we use for the library? I'd propose LGPL, but I'm
 open for other suggestions.

I used the BSD license when I started working on the project because it is the easiest license to understand and comply with.

-- Stefan

--
Cheers
Thejaswi Puthraya

Stefan Kögl

Jul 22, 2011, 2:46:40 AM7/22/11
to django-cou...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

There it is:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/django_couchdb_utils/

Am 21.07.2011 17:39, schrieb Thejaswi Puthraya:
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 7:48 PM, Stefan Kögl <ste...@skoegl.net
> <mailto:ste...@skoegl.net>> wrote:
> However, I still have some questions that I'd like to discuss with you
>
> * Who shall we name as the main author? Thejaswi, is it OK if I use
> your name and email address as you initiated the project?
>
> Please feel free to use your name.

OK, I used mine now.

> * What shall I use as the website? Shall I use Thejaswi's GitHub repo,
> or mine (as I'll do the packaging from there), or shall we set up a
> simple page?
>
> Use the repo from which you are performing the packaging.

OK

> * What License shall we use for the library? I'd propose LGPL, but I'm
> open for other suggestions.
>
> I used the BSD license when I started working on the project because it
> is the easiest license to understand and comply with.

Oh, for some reason I didn't notice the existing LICENSE file ;)

-- Stefan

Thejaswi Puthraya

Jul 22, 2011, 3:02:08 AM7/22/11
On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Stefan Kögl <ste...@skoegl.net> wrote:
Hi,

There it is:

 http://pypi.python.org/pypi/django_couchdb_utils/

Yay! This is good news. I also observe that both Martin and you have been very actively working on the project. I am sorry to not get too involved as I have been slightly busy (and mostly lazy ;) Great going, you guys rock!