Looking for Volunteer Programmers

Dorian Cantzen

Sep 1, 2015, 1:40:40 PM9/1/15
to django-berlin
Hi,
about a week ago a friend asked me to support him organizing shifts in the refugee camp at rathaus wilmersdorf. I ended up programming volunteer-planner.org which is a platform to organize working shifts for volunteers. Within this couple of days we have over 3000 registered volunteers which end up putting themself into shifts. Each day now about 200 volunteers help to get things done there.
Because i have also a demanding job for about 8h a day and some kids, i'm not able to do all the programming which is neccessary to come up.

We have already some requests from different refugee houses all over berlin and i have the feeling this can grow all over germany soon if we keep the pace.

Last weekend one more django programmer joined and there is also an admin. Today also a professional content manager joined the team. Also we contacted some designers to deliver nice screens...right now its kind of "basic"

We work very close with the volunteers at the camps and also with "moabit hilft".

This is clearly a non-profit project. I don't want to earn any money with that. All people who help to build the website (including myself) are not present on the website. This has security reasons and i also don't want any self-promotions. Everyone in the team is a professional and knows about his/her capabilities and doesnt want to show off or be the boss. We just want to help - fast and efficient.

If this sounds like fun please write an email to sup...@volunteer-planner.org

Thank you for reading!

Johannes Wilm

Sep 6, 2015, 9:43:14 AM9/6/15
to django...@googlegroups.com, sup...@volunteer-planner.org
Hey,
great effort!

I am not physically in Berlin and do not have a ton of time, but for what it's worth, I'm in. Also, I am fine with no mentioning for myself, but... in general, I don't think that is a good idea.

Programmers depend on wages just like everyone else. When they don't earn something on a project, they depend on getting paid in at least recognition for what they have done so that they then can earn money on other jobs. If you don't give people neither money nor recognition, you limit yourself to a select group of elite programmers who do not need to earn a living. This same discussion has been made many times before in the question of remuneration for volunteering on projects in the third world: If you make the volunteer pay for his own expenses (food, shelter, travel), you effectively shut out any middle class third world professional and create something in which only first world or third world upper class youths who are financed by their parents can participate.

I can understand the fear of egomaniac programmers who just want their name on everything. That can be a problem. But in a post-money society, putting your name on what you created and getting recognition for what you have done is really the only incentive there is for you to do anything. Also, it makes programmers write code that they feel they actually are proud of,

Johannes Wilm

Sep 9, 2015, 10:11:46 AM9/9/15
to Nar Chhantyal, django-berlin, sup...@volunteer-planner.org
Yes, it was placed there since. Very good. We still need more people to participate!

On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 3:58 PM, Nar Chhantyal <nkchh...@gmail.com> wrote:
Not sure if it addresses the issues you raised, but code is on Github with AGPL license https://github.com/volunteer-planner/volunteer_planner