Bizarre inability of django-allauth to send to one particular email address.

akashici...@gmail.com

Apr 8, 2019, 5:48:32 PM4/8/19
to django-allauth
Hello all--

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction for debugging this, or possibly has even encountered a similar issue.

I've got django-allauth set up & working pretty well.  I've got Google, Twitter, & Facebook integrated.

My problem is, when I try to register w/my main email address (it's an @sonic.net account), the registration emails never arrive.  Any other email address I use seems to work fine (I have several gmail addresses to play with, as well as emails on my personal email server using the domains @derveni.org & @akashicindustries.com).

Going into the Django shell, I can manually send emails to my @sonic.net account (same Django email settings, of course), no problem.

Anyone ever run into anything like this?  It seems there aren't any logs for the kind of straight-to-SMTP email sending Django is doing, so I'm stymied there.

Any help, pointers, or commiseration would be most appreciated--

Jason

Wales Data Technology, LLC

Apr 8, 2019, 7:36:21 PM4/8/19
to akashici...@gmail.com, django-allauth
Did you check the mail logs to see if the mail is actually making it to the SMTP server? Usually the mail log will have some useful info if there is some issue between the mail servers, and it would at least eliminate one possible bottleneck.

Another issue might be spam assassin. You might be able to send from j...@akashicindustries.com and it works fine, but ad...@akashicindustries.com tips you spam score up just the extra 1 or 2 points needed to block the email..?

--
Johnny Wales
Wales Data Technology, LLC

Jason Witherspoon

Apr 8, 2019, 8:29:13 PM4/8/19
to django-...@googlegroups.com
Aaaand I’m kind of stumped as to where to change the From: <webmaster@localhost> .  Thought it might be in the email .txt templates, or settings.

Any ongoing help much appreciated!

On Apr 8, 2019, at 5:18 PM, Jason Witherspoon <akashici...@gmail.com> wrote:

Ah, found it (/var/logs/mail.log, duh)

"Real domain name required for sender address”— Allauth is sending as webmaster@localhost.  Now I just need to figure out where to fix that!

Thanks for the hand-holding.

On Apr 8, 2019, at 5:12 PM, Jason Witherspoon <akashici...@gmail.com> wrote:

Any idea which mail logs I should be checking?  A quick web search had me believing that Django used SMTP directly & thus there was no logging (as there would’ve been if it had gone through sendmail, for instance).

I don’t think it’s a spam assassin issue.  I set up my mail server w/all the bells & whistles which make it score very high (perfectly, actually) on those checks.

Jason Witherspoon

Apr 8, 2019, 8:50:40 PM4/8/19
to django-...@googlegroups.com
DEFAULT_FROM_EMAIL = 'Derveni <postm...@derveni.org>’

…does the trick.

Which is a Django, not a django-allauth setting, apparently.  So now I’m totally confused as to why I could send emails from the Django shell to my @sonic.net address w/no problems.

Now I just need to set up bootstrap w/allauth— if anyone has any pointers, I’d love to hear ‘em.

Installing django-allauth-bootstrap via pip decided to downgrade my django version from 2.2 to 1.7, so I’m still pretty pissed at it (though I suppose I should thank it for my new dev-django virtualenv).