Raspberry Pi Pico Review

Michael Shimniok

Jan 21, 2021, 9:17:38 AM1/21/21
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
This looks interesting... The $4 Pico is a microcontroller board about the size of a Teensy that has a 130MHz dual core Cortex M0 and a unique state machine for custom bit banging. Runs MicroPython (or C), no OS.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/raspberry-pi-pico-review

jesse brockmann

Jan 21, 2021, 9:30:58 AM1/21/21
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it looks very interesting.   Downside right now is no arduino support.  Sparkfun has their own version with 16mb flash instead of 2mb.   Should greatly improve the situation for those that want to run python, as the python runtime would take half the flash (1mb) in a pi pico.

    Other issue is no native floating point and the teensy 4.x is so much faster with more ram but given the history of pi I wouldn't be surprised if this does well.   I imagine they might add this embedded in a future pi.

JesseJay

On Thu, Jan 21, 2021, 8:17 AM Michael Shimniok <shim...@gmail.com> wrote:
This looks interesting... The $4 Pico is a microcontroller board about the size of a Teensy that has a 130MHz dual core Cortex M0 and a unique state machine for custom bit banging. Runs MicroPython (or C), no OS.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/raspberry-pi-pico-review

Jon Watte

Jan 22, 2021, 4:00:06 PM1/22/21
to diyrovers
The Arduino IDE is vastly inferior to VSCode IMO, so that's not a problem for me!

I initially thought only having 2 UARTs would be a significant limitation, but apparently one of the two PIO blocks can run another 4 UARTs, so, yay!

I wonder if someone has built a motor controller peripheral, too? Take in 3 Hall sensor inputs, output 3 phase driver PWM signals, from a single PIO block.

Sincerely,

Jon Watte

--
"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." -- Thomas Jefferson

Michael Shimniok

Jan 22, 2021, 5:48:32 PM1/22/21
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jan 22, 2021, 2:00 PM Jon Watte <jwa...@gmail.com> wrote:

I wonder if someone has built a motor controller peripheral, too? Take in 3 Hall sensor inputs, output 3 phase driver PWM signals, from a single PIO block.

Don't know but might be fun to try if there's enough documentation available (surely yes, but haven't looked)

Michael

Jon Watte

Jan 27, 2021, 9:43:28 PM1/27/21
to diyrovers
>  Don't know but might be fun to try if there's enough documentation available (surely yes, but haven't looked)

Sincerely,

Jon Watte

--
"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." -- Thomas Jefferson

Jon Watte

Jan 27, 2021, 10:35:23 PM1/27/21
to diyrovers
Also, I've been wanting to do something with the Cypress "PSoC" things for a long while, but the right project and timing hasn't come along.
(PSoC is a series of ARM controllers that have a little bit of FPGA attached to them, and a nice IDE to design logic for those. Similar in idea to the RPi PIO, except with actual-FPGA instead of VLIW-assembly-ish config.)

Sincerely,

Jon Watte

--
"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." -- Thomas Jefferson