The New Teensy 4.1

jesse brockmann

May 11, 2020, 12:13:01 PM5/11/20
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
https://hackaday.com/2020/05/11/

Impressive stats.

JesseJay

Steve Okay

May 11, 2020, 1:11:33 PM5/11/20
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
I feel like this could go really well with this:

---Steve " 'dillo" Okay

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 9:13 AM jesse brockmann <jjbr...@gmail.com> wrote:
https://hackaday.com/2020/05/11/

Impressive stats.

JesseJay

jesse brockmann

May 11, 2020, 1:32:00 PM5/11/20
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
Awesome.  A network of 4 and external network connection would be interesting. :)

Sparkfun has it available for pre order with available date of later this week.

JesseJay

Steve Okay

May 11, 2020, 1:44:21 PM5/11/20
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
I'm only on the fence about the switch because $99 seems a bit pricey, but I totally dig the utility of having a *-duino-sized 4-port switch inside my rover.

'dillo

Jon Watte

May 11, 2020, 1:45:34 PM5/11/20
to diyrovers
Ha! I just bought some 3.6-es for spares. Now I need to upgrade :-)

Also: Why buy from SparkFun? PJRC has a store all of their own, and I imagine that they make more money back if you buy directly from them. It's a two-man enterprise with open source designs and significant investment in the software support side (SIGNIFICANT!) so I like to give Paul and the folks all the direct support I can.
Also: already in stock!
https://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy41.html

Sincerely,

Jon Watte

--
"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." -- Thomas Jefferson

Jon Watte

May 11, 2020, 1:57:06 PM5/11/20
to diyrovers
Oh, no! The serial port pins have moved around a lot. The 4.1 is not a drop-in replacement for 3.6 on my robot control board :-(
That board is a 4-layer surface-mount monster with dual-rail buck converters, high-current power switch, various sensor and motor drivers, a two-way video switch (!) and more. Cost a fair bit to develop, so not likely to just re-route and re-spin it.

Than again, the 600 MHz? If I really needed performance, I'd use a Raspberry Pi 4 or a Jetson of some sort (the Xavier Nano is coming out now, too.) Maybe the 3.6 is the epitome of "wire wiggler" microcontrollers, and anything fancier will just be a two-board solution.

Sincerely,

Jon Watte

--
"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." -- Thomas Jefferson