Petoi Bittle, RC mower and new go kart project

jesse brockmann

Sep 3, 2020, 12:03:21 PM9/3/20
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
   Although it's not exactly a rover but I backed the Petoi Bittle because it looks like a really fun project and I don't have the funds for a Boston Dynamics Spot.    Anyone else backed Bittle yet?  Curious if you have any experience with OpenCat? :)

My RC mower project is going well.  My part with the remote control is very close to done, but the motor in the mower isn't cooperating, so it has to be rebuilt.   I just need to do some testing and tweak the settings to finish the project.

I've started work on my next rover, which is going to be an electric kids go kart (A real racing kart, no razor kart here).   I'm working on making it remote control right now, but autonomous is next.   I'll hopefully have some cool pictures and videos in the next month or so.   I'll have a companion 1/10th scale car for testing the code along the way.  I'm using a Traxxas 4Tec 2.0 for that.   The go kart is really a test platform for the autonomous mower project and it allows me to have lots of fun along the way. :)

Teaser picture..  Here is the Torxis Servo I'm using for steering the go kart.  Yes, that really is a full size banana. No tricks!

IMG_20200702_132708.jpg

JesseJay

Jon Watte

Sep 3, 2020, 1:57:02 PM9/3/20
to diyrovers
Nice servo :-)
At some point, you'll probably end up using industrial parts, like ClearPath Stepper Killers and such!

"banana for scale" is, of course, the correct choice.

Sincerely,

Jon Watte

--
"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." -- Thomas Jefferson

Jon Watte

Sep 3, 2020, 2:01:24 PM9/3/20
to diyrovers
Regarding Bittle and OpenCat, having significant experience with quadruped walkers, those bots won't have enough payload capacity.
I mean, you can't even strap a remote operated gun with laser sight on them!

image.png

Sincerely,

Jon Watte

--
"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." -- Thomas Jefferson

jesse brockmann

Sep 3, 2020, 2:56:02 PM9/3/20
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
I've was talking to someone who suggested using electric power steering motor from a car.  😀

Jon Watte

Sep 3, 2020, 2:58:05 PM9/3/20
to diyrovers
That seems almost too application specific :-D

jesse brockmann

Sep 3, 2020, 3:00:42 PM9/3/20
to diyr...@googlegroups.com

Jon Watte

Sep 3, 2020, 3:18:21 PM9/3/20
to diyrovers
Those legs are essentially cam driven, not articulating. You need at a minimum a sideways hip joint for a stable gait that can turn.
It's a pretty impressive chunk of metal, though :-)