Online Class ?

PaulPb

Mar 21, 2015, 1:59:07 PM3/21/15
to diyke...@googlegroups.com
Hi Drew and/or everyone else who has been involved in this group from it's start.

I have a few questions, relating to possible future projects :

( I have built a few 6-6 keyboards - 2, 4 row Janko keytops that fit on Yamaha PSS Portasound 680 keyboards - small size keyboard which has a similar size octave to the original janko. and one "balanced" keyboard - using a Casio CTK 571 - both tricky to build - its easy to get replacement keys for "cheap" for cheap casio keyboards)

I lack the programming knowledge, to build the basic circuitboard (for keyboard micro switches) and micro computer for MIDI Controller.

Is there an online course for building this basic micro controller?

For example there is a site called WIZ IQ, which has several courses - one is to build a micro computer called a Rasberry (forgive the joke) [which I'm guessing has no relation to the "Arduino" and related components].

So the important question is could you give me a list of the components needed and a "place" or online course to teach me how to build this device(?).

I have basic Ideas and models for (low cost) wood keyboards - that would work for janko, balanced or 7-5 keyboard configurations.(others also).

I havn't learned from this group so far "how to do it"  (the above mentioned question) maybe because I haven't asked the right questions - or really need some sort of class on the Electronics subject.

Remember I am mainly a musician and composer ( most of my time since this group started I've been composing and studying music theory/composition texts) etc. -
I'm not experienced in writing computer programs or electronics.....

Best Regards; PaulPb

Andrew Wagner

Dec 29, 2015, 3:51:32 AM12/29/15
to diykeyboard
Hi Paul,

I glanced at an intro electronics class... They cover a lot of stuff you will probably not need to know if you just want to hook up some keyswitches to a microcontroller. You don't ~really need to know about linear circuit design, op amps, and transistors for that.  For basic key scanning you pretty much just need to know about voltage, current, resistors, and diodes.

Your best starting point is probably some Arduino starter kit that includes some buttons and comes with some materials.

Cheers,
Andrew

Chris Link

Aug 23, 2016, 8:00:48 PM8/23/16
to diykeyboard
I know this is an old post but I was wondering if you would consider selling one of your janko keytops or possibly the "balanced" Casio? I'm looking to get started on a 6-6 keyboard but am trying to avoid going the DIY route. Thanks.

Red Davies

Aug 23, 2016, 8:46:12 PM8/23/16
to diyke...@googlegroups.com
I have a Chromatone that I'm willing to sell. Unfortunately I got a
wrist injury while waiting for it to ship and I never fully recovered.

It's sitting in a case in need of some love.
> --
> You are subscribed to the Google Groups "diykeyboard" group.
> Also see the DIY Keyboard Google Code Repository and Wiki:
> http://code.google.com/p/diykeyboard/
> ---
> "diykeyboard" group.
> email to diykeyboard...@googlegroups.com.

Joseph Austin

Aug 24, 2016, 10:29:54 AM8/24/16
to Alexandre Oberlin
Red,
Do I understand that you have the larger (Red) 88 note-version?

Joe

Red Davies

Aug 24, 2016, 11:31:47 AM8/24/16
to diyke...@googlegroups.com

Yes... located in Charlotte NC.

>> For more options, visit this group at
>> http://groups.google.com/group/diykeyboard?hl=en
>> Also see the DIY Keyboard Google Code Repository and Wiki:
>> http://code.google.com/p/diykeyboard/
>> ---
>> "diykeyboard" group.

> --
> You are subscribed to the Google Groups "diykeyboard" group.

You are subscribed to the Google Groups "diykeyboard" group.

PJP...@aol.com

Aug 24, 2016, 11:40:42 AM8/24/16
to diyke...@googlegroups.com
Hi All - I must have started this thread :
On Saturday, March 21, 2015 at 1:59:07 PM UTC-4, PaulPb wrote:

Is there an online course for building this basic micro controller?
Which Well I did not find - except for the books and basic kits for DIY "The Arduino" - since I'm less then a beginner in that area - having a private teacher or an online class would make it possible.

Since that time I retired from trying to build this type of keyboard............I have to much to do so extra time is dedicated to composing and recording projects.

Originally I was looking to buy one -

In a message dated 8/24/2016 10:29:56 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, drtec...@gmail.com writes:

Red,
Do I understand that you have the larger (Red) 88 note-version?

Joe
> On Aug 23, 2016, at 8:46 PM, Red Davies <noid...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have a Chromatone that I'm willing to sell.  Unfortunately I got a
> wrist injury while waiting for it to ship and I never fully recovered.
>
> It's sitting in a case in need of some love. = does that mean it works?/or not?

How Much $$ =

Regards; Paul Pb

>> For more options, visit this group at
>> http://groups.google.com/group/diykeyboard?hl=en
>> Also see the DIY Keyboard Google Code Repository and Wiki:
>> http://code.google.com/p/diykeyboard/
>> ---
>> "diykeyboard" group.

> --
> You are subscribed to the Google Groups "diykeyboard" group.

You are subscribed to the Google Groups "diykeyboard" group.

PJP...@aol.com

Aug 24, 2016, 11:51:57 AM8/24/16
to diyke...@googlegroups.com

I started that post - No sorry Mine are not for sale - I recommend trying The balanced keyboard - eaiser to get parts = especially Casio ( a cheaper used one on  ebay they have good sounds and getting replacement keyboard parts was cheap in 2010.......They were located in NJ then.....)

I have extra 6-6 parts also not for sale - if they were for sale there still is a lot of DIY work involved and the results might be disappointing...........depending on how "crafty" you are................

Best regards; PaulPb