Re: [diykeyboard] Digest for diykeyboard@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 1 to...

PJP...@aol.com

Aug 27, 2016, 12:58:07 PM8/27/16
to diyke...@googlegroups.com
Hello; Is that kit really available on ebay ? - looks interesting and cheap enough to give it a try - Although which are the white and black notes? for that particular layout I like the small keys - 3 white CDE - 3 black F#G#A#.........(?)

If you are already a good player of the traditional (7-5) I wouldn't worry about get confused about switching back and forth.......

Also you could "LOOK" at the 7-5 keyboard differently (if you are looking for symmetry) = look at D as your center (L,R mirror image) or Ab......Its weird how its taught everything from middle C - major and minor scales, you need to get into more advanced 'territory' the keyboard startsto look different...   - 7-5 works fine for me - I like the janko and the balanced also........

In a message dated 8/26/2016 9:57:14 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, diyke...@googlegroups.com writes:
Chris Link <jchri...@gmail.com>: Aug 26 09:20AM -0700

So I just ordered a behringer umx610 from eBay with the intention to modify it with a 6-6 layout. I'm would also order this kit that is designed for the umx610 and provides the necessary extra keys. http://www.ebay.com/itm/262513426612

This to me seems to me the cheapest way to give this concept a try. However, I just ordered the keyboard and haven't yet ordered the kit but I'm already having second thoughts. Like orientation is going to be really hard on this thing. Also, I imagine it will be too confusing to go back to playing a standard piano keyboard afterwards. Since I'm not totally unskilled on the piano should I just continue on and forgo this new design completely? I don't want to end up wasting my money and be stuck with something no one will buy. Most people when presented with the idea tell me to just keep learning the piano and deal with everything taking longer.

I guess I in the end I'm wondering what are the downfalls of this 6-6 design and ultimately how helpful it will really be to an intermediate player?
"dominique.waller" <dominiqu...@orange.fr>: Aug 26 10:21PM +0200

Hi Chris,
I got me a Behringer too, and have ordered a set of keys on eBay, but
haven't received it, apparently because there was some trouble with the Post
Office here.
Concerning the rest of your message, I think the most important point is
not the instrument, whether uniform (isomorphic) or not, but one’s age. How
old are you? People trained on the piano from a very early age can pass to
the Janko keyboard very quickly (watch Salami playing the Lippens keyboard
on YouTube after only an hour) and presumably, go backwards whenever they
want.
People having learned an instrument in their youth but having left it in
the meantime for decades can come back to it thirty years later and even
make new progress, because they reactivate old habits and feelings in their
brain. I’ve seen this. The problem is with people trying to learn an
instrument after say 25 and even much later with no previous background at
all. Piano teachers say you can learn at any age, because they have an
interest in saying this. There are exceptions of course, but generally,
learning an instrument late in life is difficult, and getting more difficult
with decades. So my position is that the later you start, the more you may
benefit from choosing an isomorphic instrument, but even in this case, you
can’t expect fast progress without previous training. Hope this may help
you.
For more information on the symmetrical keyboard, see my website
http://www.le-nouveau-clavier.fr
Dominique

--
You are subscribed to the Google Groups "diykeyboard" group.
Also see the DIY Keyboard Google Code Repository and Wiki:

---