[diyembedded.com] New comment on Suggestions on new tutorials?.

brennen

May 14, 2008, 10:27:55 PM5/14/08
to diyembe...@googlegroups.com
brennen has left a new comment on your post "Suggestions on new tutorials?":

Anonymous said...
What about doing something along the lines of a mesh network, multi hop etc.

January 16, 2008 2:35 AM

That would definitely be a cool project. I may try this some time in the future.

Tobias said...
And about the NRF24AP1?
I was reading about it and the ant protocol but I'm afraid of buying it and could not put it to work (here in brazil it's veeery expensive).

April 3, 2008 6:49 PM

Cool looking chip. I may make a breakout of this since it's not an easy breakout to find that's relatively affordable.

Adam said...
Hi Brennen. I am currently doing research in flying robotics (check out http://lis.epfl.ch/research/projects/microflyers/), and am using your library with the nRF to set up a wireless link between the robot, a base-station for data-logging and an RC controller for piloting the robot. I used to use Bluetooth, but have switched to the nRF because of its tiny size.

Since all three devices can act as masters, I am trying to setup a protocol that uses handshaking between the different devices to allow each of them to become the master of the link. Do you have any experience using these chips to setup a proper bi-directional link?

This could make for an interesting tutorial, and once I have it figured out I would be glad to send you the source code.

May 6, 2008 5:20 AM

Technically my simplest tutorial (Tutorial 1) was a bidirectional link between two 24L01's. To add a third would be more complicated, but it goes back to the idea of the mesh network. Cool thing to try out once I get some free time. If you have any success, I would definitely like to post your work on the site!

Smartie_on_computer said...
Hey, i'm having to use a 14 bit chip (16F628A) and having to write my own code, is it possible to give some guide lines on testing the interface to see if the nRF 24l01 chips work?

Thanks

May 6, 2008 3:40 PM

If you have an oscilloscope, you just need to watch the lines to make sure they are outputting the right values.

If not, don't connect the 24L01 to the PIC. Write test programs to use a multimeter to see if you can turn on and off the pins that act as your CSN and CE lines. Verify that SCK and SDO are setup as outputs and SDI is setup as an input. Then short SDO and SDI together and make sure that you can write values 0 through 255 out SDO and read the same value you sent at SDI. If you have that, then you would just need to write your delay functions, and you should be ready to test it with my library.

Posted by brennen to diyembedded.com at May 14, 2008 10:27 PM