Any favorite safety videos?

Patrik D'haeseleer

Feb 25, 2014, 9:54:04 PM2/25/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
We're in the process of revamping safety training at BioCurious, by asking people to watch some online videos and then take a quiz. (Until now, we've done 2-3hr in-person safety orientation sessions, but those can be hard to schedule, and were becoming a bottleneck to get new members on board.)

Does anyone have any favorite videos to share? So far we're considering the Dow Chemical videos, which are thorough but rather dry (and corny - but that may be unavoidable in this particular genre).

Know any videos that are hip and cool and short, but still get the point across? Any that are so corny they become memorable?

Topics to include (please add more):
  • PPE
  • Waste Handling
  • BioHazards
  • MSDS

It would be nice to assemble a collection on basic lab techniques for beginners as well - how to hold a pipetter, etc.

Please recommend *specific* videos if possible - Thanks!

Patrik

Cory Tobin

Feb 26, 2014, 3:20:21 PM2/26/14
to diybio
Crash Course Chemistry has a pretty good intro to lab safety:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRWRmIEHr3A The editing style used by
the Crash Course series might not be appreciated by all viewers but at
least its not bland like most safety videos. Also, this video is
obviously targeted at chem labs so it doesn't cover biological waste
handling (autoclaving) or specific hazards in bio labs (EtBr,
phenol/chloroform, acrylamide, etc). Although, all of that should
probably fall under the umbrella of "read the MSDS before you touch
it".

-cory

digitalbio

Feb 27, 2014, 8:33:29 PM2/27/14