Making a big pet for around the house

Dan Kolis

Mar 13, 2024, 9:51:59 AMMar 13
to DIYbio
Ongoing work to make a simulated Wholly Mammoth.

Fairly interesting work here really. I think the step to use enabled stem cells as a near cancer intentionally in a mouse is an interesting step...

Tinkering carefully with Asian Elephant stem cells to/from zygotes...

Quite a lot here. I think the protocols and sources of reagents lists are really interesting. a zillion small companies making magic potions, little boxes and fixtures, etc. Its not all Thermo-Fischer out there....

These must do something. I mean Lean and Church et al get these buying relationships going to get these jars of goop on the bench.

If you think; 'just a re-print', recall every delay to grokking this ijust kicks the can down the road. this is a BIG PROJECT with lots of steps. this is ok plenty as-is without more fussing from 3rd parties as a line item....

Whole document:

TI: DERIVATION OF ELEPHANT INDUCED PLURIPOTENT STEM CELLS
DT: 10 Mar 2024

Evan Appleton 1 , Kyunghee Hong 1 , Cristina Rodríguez-Caycedo 1 , Yoshiaki Tanaka 1,4 , Asaf Ashkenazy-Titelman 3 , Ketaki Bhide 2 , Cody Rasmussen-Ivey 1 , Xochitl Ambriz-Peña 1 , Nataly Korover 1 , Hao Bai 1 , Ana Quieroz 3 , Jorgen Nelson 1 , Grishma Rathod 1 , Gregory Knox 1 , Miles Morgan 1 , Nandini Malviya 1 , Kairui Zhang 1 ,
 rody McNutt 2 , James Kehler 1 , Amanda Kowalczyk 2 , Austin Bow 1 , Bryan McLendon 1 , Brandi Cantarel 1,2 , Matt James 1 , Christopher E. Mason 5 , Charles Gray 6 , Karl R. Koehler 3,7 , Virginia Pearson 8 , Ben Lamm 1,2 , George Church 1,2,3 , and Eriona Hysolli 1,*

Colossal Biosciences, Dallas, TX, USA
FormBio, Dallas, TX, USA
Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Faculty of Medicine, Université de Montréal, Montréal, CA
Department of Physiology and Biophysics and the WorldQuant Initiative Quantitative Prediction Cornell University, NY, USA
African Lion Safari, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Departments of Otolaryngology and Plastic and Oral Surgery, Boston Children’s Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA, USA *
Corresponding author [eri...@colossal.com]

ABSTRACT
The crisis of biodiversity loss in the anthropogenic era requires new tools for studying non-model organisms. Elephants, for example, are both an endangered species and excellent models studying complex phenotypes like size, social behavior, and longevity, but they remain severely understudied. Here we report the first derivation of elephant (Elephas maximus) induced pluripotent stem cells(emiPSCs) achieved via a two-step process of chemical-media induction and colony selection, followed by overexpression of elephant transcription factors OCT4, SOX2, KLF4, MYC ± NANOG and LIN28A, and modulation of the TP53 pathway. Since the seminal discovery of reprogramming
by Shinya Yamanaka, iPSCs from many species including the functionally extinct northern white rhinocerous have been reported, but emiPSCs have remained elusive. While for multiple species the reprogramming protocol was adopted with little changes compared to model organisms like mouse and human, our emiPSC protocol requires a longer timeline and inhibition of TP53 expansion genes that are hypothesized to confer unique cancer resistance in elephants. iPSCs unlock tremendous potential to explore cell fate determination, cell and tissue development, cell therapies, drug screening,
disease modeling, cancer development, gametogenesis and beyond to further our understanding of this iconic megafauna. This study opens new frontiers in advanced non-model organism cellular models for genetic rescue and conservation.

Keywords Stem cell biology · Elephants · Elephas Maximus · Reprogramming · Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells

Regards
Daniel B Kolis