Starting a Garage Lab for GLP Research

N. Jaymon

Sep 17, 2014, 5:07:03 PM9/17/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Greetings! I'm a biology student in Oklahoma interested in GMO with GLP. I'm curious of what devices and costs one would assume when starting a small "garage lab".

I'm more specifically interested in introducing GLP in arthropod specimens, using a small-scale diy lab setup. What are the more prominent devices needed, and what costs should I expect to incur? I have read that diy bio-lab equipment has recently seen major changes in the way of accessibility and costs. I would like to be able to do research of my own, and help contribute results to the growing diy bio community.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Dakota Hamill

Sep 17, 2014, 8:46:41 PM9/17/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
What is GLP?  Why arthropods?

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/13c0e3f8-f014-453b-9ef4-67dafd33840a%40googlegroups.com.

Srihari Yamanoor

Sep 17, 2014, 8:53:16 PM9/17/14
to diybio
Good Lab Practices. I am not sure though that you need much by way of "special" equipment, as much as good practices, based on sound science. Safety first, document everything, plan ahead, use a chemical hood, keep samples pure and prevent contaminants, maintain temperature, humidity, etc.

Almost of all of these can be achieved through DIY or standard tools without much difficulty. Where cost is an issue, DIY tools could be used as a substitute.

Dakota Hamill

Sep 17, 2014, 8:58:50 PM9/17/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Ah, I thought it may have been http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucagon-like_peptide-1 after a google.

But back to Jay, you need to be a bit more specific about what it is you want to do.  That's like me saying, "I want to build a Ferrari in my garage, how do I start?".

The tools, equipment, and reagents you will need highly depend on what your experiment or hypothesis is, and they can range from very expensive to dirt cheap.

Srihari Yamanoor

Sep 17, 2014, 9:03:04 PM9/17/14
to diybio
Oops, maybe it is! I saw garage lab and made the GLP connection!

Cathal Garvey

Sep 18, 2014, 2:43:18 AM9/18/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
"Good Laboratory Practice" was my first guess too.

If you're working with arthropod cell lines (or whole organism) and said
organism isn't a vector for any viruses of note (can't think of anything
offhand that'll propagate in insect cell lines..) you should be pretty
safe. I've recommended insect cell lines in the past to people eager to
do mammalian cell culture, because of the increased safety and their
alleged ability to produce tons of transgene (where relevant).

GLP in this case comes down to your ability to efficiently grow lots of
insect cell lines without contamination, which is a similar problem to
most other forms of microbiology or tissue culture, such as mycology.
Indeed, hanging around mycological fora will give you a good idea of how
mushroom enthusiasts deal with the issue of contamination at low cost,
which is highly transferable.

>>> --
>>> Home: http://www.yamanoor.com/
>>>
>>> Photography: http://www.yamanoor.net/ and http://facebook.com/voxluma
>>>
>>> Laughs: http://ysrihari.blogspot.com/
>>>
>>> Medical Devices: http://chaaraka.blogspot.com/
>>>
>>> Earth: http://itshothere.org/
>>>
>>> --
>>> "DIYbio" group.
>>> email to diybio+un...@googlegroups.com.
>>> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
>>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/CAGsdRYBC7Tg51nHCpTDq%3DaHjm4Eptwr3_mKzPSznWYbd8On8JQ%40mail.gmail.com
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/CAGsdRYBC7Tg51nHCpTDq%3DaHjm4Eptwr3_mKzPSznWYbd8On8JQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>>> .

>> --
>> "DIYbio" group.
>> email to diybio+un...@googlegroups.com.
>> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/CAGdeWmRQY%3DR2KrGohOzzFWipS30oMZCN6Oc%3DE00z8YG3dxQtyw%40mail.gmail.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/CAGdeWmRQY%3DR2KrGohOzzFWipS30oMZCN6Oc%3DE00z8YG3dxQtyw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .

Twitter: @onetruecathal, @formabiolabs
Phone: +353876363185
Blog: http://indiebiotech.com
miniLock.io: JjmYYngs7akLZUjkvFkuYdsZ3PyPHSZRBKNm6qTYKZfAM
0x988B9099.asc
signature.asc

Cathal Garvey

Sep 18, 2014, 2:47:13 AM9/18/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I guess it's worth adding that GLP is also used as a quality assurance
factor, so if you're planning to sell something produced by your cell
lines then "GLP" in a DIY setting is going to be hard. That is,
everything is tehnically "DIY" for some value of number-of-participants
and source-of-funding but if we're talking about one or two people and a
few thousand €/£/$, I don't think you're going to be in the same league
as Pfizer for "GLP"! :)
0x988B9099.asc
signature.asc

N. Jaymon

Sep 18, 2014, 2:59:19 PM9/18/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
My apologies, I will try to be more specific this time around. Please bare with me. So many abbreviations have multiple meanings.
Where as I am quite concerned with general lab practices and general safety measures, I was originally referring to "green florescent protein". I would like to be able to document the extent of the protein's effects on exoskeletons. I would like to be able to introduce the protein to cultured insect cell lines. Upon research, practice, and documentation, I believe the introduced protein would be beneficial in identifying and tracking invasive species as they continue to reproduce, as well as manage pest species.

Cathal Garvey

Sep 18, 2014, 3:17:37 PM9/18/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Ah, GFP! We've trodden that ground well in the past, should be a much
more useful response in that case. :)

Right away, I can suggest that GFP probably won't work in an insects
*exoskeleton*, for the same reason that fluorescent animals don't have
fluorescent fur (ssh, don't tell Eduardo Kacs..); GFP, when dessicated
or precipitated, loses the structure that makes it fluorescent.

Now, there might be a super-GFP out there hacked to be dessication
resistant, but I haven't heard of one. So, for a fluorescent
exoskeleton, you may need something different.
0x988B9099.asc
signature.asc

Jay H.

Sep 18, 2014, 4:55:46 PM9/18/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com, cathal...@cathalgarvey.me
I just noticed how many typos my original post has. Good job, Jay.

Whereas it is a bit disheartening that GFP has no visible effect on exoskeletal lining, I intended to use it more as a genetic marker and stepping stone into biohacking. After some time of practice, trial, and documentation, I hoped to become familiarized enough to move from cultured cells to complete specimens. My yet limited knowledge and area of study tend to lean towards the physiology of arthropods. Though just a student, arachnology is something of a passion of mine. I would really like to explore how GFP might effect the proteinaceous webs produced by spiders' spinnerets. If the protein is hereditary, and thus produced, perhaps it would also be passed into the protein lining of webs? I would very much enjoy working on such hypotheses, once I have become more familiar with preceding practices.

Mega [Andreas Stuermer]

Sep 20, 2014, 5:56:01 AM9/20/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
AFAIK the webs are produced by single protein that carries a secretion signal peptide and is only produced in sprcial glands. GFP silk has been done before

Mega [Andreas Stuermer]

Sep 20, 2014, 6:01:00 AM9/20/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Ah btw, if you can develop the skills to transform insect cells I can provide an insect GFP from my beeotex project. It also carries some other (bee) virus surpressing functions, but it very likely will work for you.

It'll be ready to use - just insert into the cells (or sperm) and they'll be green fluorescent.

Btw,. don't scorpions show uv fluorescence anyway?

SC

Sep 29, 2014, 5:21:23 PM9/29/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Scorpions, yes, also some millipedes.  But not GFP.
If you're looking for something that would be visible on an exosketeon, maybe some single gene pigment instead of GFP?

(Also a glowing stag beetle would be neato.)

Mega [Andreas Stuermer]

Sep 30, 2014, 7:36:16 AM9/30/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
There are purple proteins. Maybe you want to add that?