Trying to source a 12-30v input 60-100v output high voltage boost converter

Bryan Hugill

Dec 14, 2015, 10:11:45 AM12/14/15
to DIYbio
Can anyone here explain this article in "normal person" talk? https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/app-notes/index.mvp/id/1109

Basically, we're trying to find a 12-30v input 60-100v output high voltage boost converter for our gel electrophoresis box design...but seeing we're struggling to find one here in Bangkok, we're doing what we think might be the next best thing: Trying to work out what else this converter might be used for/in, and then tracking it down that way.

Thanks!
Bryan @ F.lab (Thailand)

Simon Quellen Field

Dec 14, 2015, 10:56:21 AM12/14/15
to diybio
Save yourself a lot of bother and get a module that is already built.

You could put a couple of these in series:

This will take 12 volts up to 80 volts for $22:

Up to 60 volts for $12:

Or you could just get a 1:1 isolation transformer and a bridge rectifier to convert 120 VAC to DC. Size the transformer to the output current you want. Multi-tap transformers would give you a selection of voltages.

-----
Get a free science project every week! "http://scitoys.com/newsletter.html"

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/6b4e8879-6e1c-4650-a3f5-249baf5c1291%40googlegroups.com.

Forrest Flanagan

Dec 14, 2015, 11:10:14 AM12/14/15
to diybio
All circuits detailed on that Maxim page are for applications that require a high voltage, but very little current. You'd probably want something adjustable with 100 times the current handling capability. It might be cool if you wanted to run a really slow pen sized gel off of a AAA though.

Lol, the suggestion to go off of isolated and rectified mains. I remember a thread from a few years ago about that. https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/diybio/uNiIyU4xsvA/TR4ENp7u6Q0J

Mega [Andreas Stuermer]

Dec 14, 2015, 5:27:51 PM12/14/15
to DIYbio
May I suggest taking the 60V rather than 80? If I remember that one correctly, due to the electrical resistance of the human body, you could probably still touch 60V. If you touch more than that, a deadly currect could flow through your heart. The exact voltage really depends on how sweaty your fingers are.

Anyways never touch the circuit, but still. Of I build something I like voltages to be surviveable. A friend of mine built tesla coils with like 12000V, or did he even manage one with a lot more. It looked insane but you really don't want to touch it

Gordana Ostojic

Dec 14, 2015, 6:27:42 PM12/14/15
to DIYbio

I think this is basically what they sell on ebay,  something like http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Voltage-Power-Supply-Arduino-HV-Adjustable-DC-2200V-Over-2kV-/252071808459I bought similar thing for my capillary electrophoresis setup and it works for me (don't have a clue about stability yet, just that it does produce HV) and mA current. I am happy that it is battery powered, since it feels safer then to have something HV and plugged into a wall. Not sure this would work for you since you would probably need more current. I saw that they use boards from old inkjet printers, those should probably have more current capability. Be cautious if you get this, even when you unplug the battery, it takes time to discharge completely. Always check voltage before you touch.

Scott

Dec 14, 2015, 7:47:28 PM12/14/15
to DIYbio
Check out http://public.iorodeo.com/docs/electrophoresis_power_supply/

I purchased a couple PCBs from them and bought most of the components locally in Canada. You can at least look at their schematics for ideas

Cheers,
Scott