DIYbio logo ideas

Ricardo Vidal

Jul 11, 2008, 2:28:53 AM7/11/08
to DIYbio
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of making a logo for DIYbio. I mentioned this at
yesterday's meet up and asked for some ideas of what it could be. I
haven't been in the creative/design mindset, so I need some help with
ideas.

If we could come up with some nice ideas, I think I can get something
ready before the next meeting.

Cheers,
Ricardo

Julie E Norville

Jul 11, 2008, 8:47:14 AM7/11/08
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I have being thinking about this too. One thing that I thought might
be good to
incorporate is a "white hat," maybe a white cowboy hat as part of the logo--to
emphasize that you are hackers "for good." You might also want to
combine this
with the bio theme somehow-- perhaps a dna braid around the hat--its hard to
know what would be best and the letters DIYbio (in the way that has worked so
well for the iGEM logo.)

historical significance of a potential white hat logo:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_hat

If you do include this kind of symbol in the logo, I would also somehow
incorporate some description of it on sites where it is posted so that people
will be aware of its greater significance--you are the white hats (i.e., the
good guys) not the black hats (and the bad guys.) It also might provide a way
that your movement can show to the world in a simple way that they
intend to be
hackers solely for good--like the Jedi Knights.
---------
Combined with some kind of hacker code that I would suggest that you formulate
(and have all your members agree to before joining,) this may help create the
impression that you are ethical hackers "for good" and dedicated to doing good
things for society--a statement that I think meets your mission well.
Best,
Julie

Splicer

Jul 11, 2008, 10:28:53 AM7/11/08
to DIYbio
The white hat idea has its merits but I'm not sure about this.

White hats exist only in relation to black hats so to me it's like
saying 'There are badguys out there but we're the good guys'.

I think it may be a good idea to keep the focus elsewhere.

My 2c

- Splicer

Julie E Norville

Jul 11, 2008, 11:19:43 AM7/11/08
to diy...@googlegroups.com
The perception is that bad guys exist, even if that is not the reality.

A few references. . .
Synthetic biology: enormous possibility, exaggerated perils
http://www.jbioleng.org/content/2/1/7

Extreme Genetic Engineering: An Introduction to Synthetic Biology
http://www.etcgroup.org/en/materials/publications.html?pub_id=602
(which includes this quote from Drew Endy:
"I expect this technology will be misapplied, actively misapplied. . . "
on page 27)

Jason Morrison

Jul 11, 2008, 12:37:25 PM7/11/08
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I like the idea of a fresh, simple logo.  Light green and med/dark gray, sans-serif fonts, perhaps.

- "diybio" with a stem and leaf for the first "i",
- a small person patching up a tall broken leaf or plant, and "diybio" underneath.  They could be using duct tape, or a hammer and nails, or measuring it up with a tapeline, etc.
--
Jason Morrison
jason.p....@gmail.com

Bryan Bishop

Jul 11, 2008, 12:49:24 PM7/11/08
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On Friday 11 July 2008, Jason Morrison wrote:
> I like the idea of a fresh, simple logo.  Light green and med/dark
> gray, sans-serif fonts, perhaps.

How about we imitate TED? http://ted.com/

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
Engineers: http://heybryan.org/exp.html
irc.freenode.net #hplusroadmap
"Genius is the ability to escape the human condition;
Humanity is the need to escape." -- Q. Uim

Splicer

Jul 12, 2008, 2:52:22 PM7/12/08
to DIYbio
An earlier attempt at a biohacker logo:

http://freelancingscience.com/2008/03/21/biohacker-logo/

:-/

- Splicer

Ricardo Vidal

Jul 28, 2008, 12:08:06 AM7/28/08
to DIYbio
Hey,

I was fooling around in illustrator this afternoon and I came up with
this:
http://my.biotechlife.net/misc/diybio-v1c.jpg

It's based on Jason Morrison's suggestion. Let me know what you think.

Cheers,

On Jul 11, 12:37 pm, "Jason Morrison" <jason.p.morri...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> jason.p.morri...@gmail.comhttp://jayunit.net
> (585) 216-5657

James Gagnon

Aug 1, 2008, 7:30:20 PM8/1/08
to diy...@googlegroups.com
hey, thats great!  nice work.  perhaps make it all lowercase, attach the leaf to the top of the lowercase d?

either way, i like it!

-jamie

Russell .

Aug 2, 2008, 2:24:32 AM8/2/08
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

While I like the iconography, the concept of applying a band-aid or duct tape to a biological process unnecessarily implies a level of the unwrought and ill-prepared.

How about a shiny balloon, or halo, gleaming with the effervescence of fresh PCR run?  And plants are boring too.

you dig?

Russell

Jason Morrison

Aug 2, 2008, 1:16:04 PM8/2/08
to diy...@googlegroups.com
hey, thats great!  nice work.  perhaps make it all lowercase, attach the leaf to the top of the lowercase d?

+1 to those suggestions :)  Nice work!

jason

Jason Bobe

Aug 2, 2008, 3:10:44 PM8/2/08
to diy...@googlegroups.com
+1 again, I think its great, a few tweaks should get us there....

Jason B

Andrew Gray

Aug 16, 2015, 5:56:18 AM8/16/15
to DIYbio
Hi guys, just thought i'd bump this thread to see if anyone has come across a symbol or logo for DIYbio or biohacking being used by multiple groups? I've seen stuff from the Grinder community but was wondering if those were also being used by the other groups in the community.