Berkeley Biolabs - Open and having an open in house in about a week

Biotech Ryan

Feb 4, 2014, 12:11:32 AM2/4/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I just wanted to let you know that Berkeley Biolabs (the professional biohacker space) is now open (granted on and off as we set office hours).

If anyone is interested in popping by for a tour please let Ron or I know and we'll also be holding an open house soon.

Here's our first bit of press with a quick overview of what we're up to in the Daily Californian!

Dakota Hamill

Feb 4, 2014, 11:35:22 AM2/4/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Cool stuff, I wish there was a place in MA you could get space like that for $150 a month.  Incubators I see around here are $1,500-$3,500 for 1/4 of a bench top.

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/5aa6f660-d6f4-4abc-aaa5-5d897aac0234%40googlegroups.com.

Nathan McCorkle

Feb 4, 2014, 5:54:56 PM2/4/14
to diybio
Is this what became of East Bay DIYbio, which I thought became
CounterCulture Labs? All the same thing?
> --
> "DIYbio" group.
> email to diybio+un...@googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/5aa6f660-d6f4-4abc-aaa5-5d897aac0234%40googlegroups.com.

-Nathan

Open BioLab Graz

Feb 6, 2014, 6:17:15 AM2/6/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com

'Professionel hackerspace' sounds a little bit like 'profitable non-profit organisation'

Patrik D'haeseleer

Feb 8, 2014, 2:40:01 AM2/8/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Berkeley BioLabs is the for-profit incubator side, focusing on commercializing startup ideas.

Counter Culture Labs is completely non-profit, and is still going strong. We're doing lots of meetups, and starting on a few small-scale experiments. We just don't have a lab space yet. We actually looked at the same space that BBL is now in, but decided against it because we wanted to hold out for something with a much lower rent. We have some very promising spaces in Oakland in mind - just waiting to hear back from the realtor...

There are no formal ties between the two organizations, but a lot of overlap in people involved. I still think we could have fit the incubator side under Counter Culture Labs as well, but there were a few people needing lab space for startups asap.

Patrik