DIY bio community in Kyiv

Anton Kulaga

Jul 20, 2013, 2:28:21 PM7/20/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I am glad to announce that DIY Bio community was created in Kyiv, Ukraine. Three bio workshops have already been conducted.

Nathan McCorkle

Jul 20, 2013, 9:37:49 PM7/20/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com

You're near chernobyl right? Maybe you can look for mutated plants or bacteria or something!

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/24bd9419-e57b-4b2b-b2dc-1dacf97b7f02%40googlegroups.com.

Cathal Garvey (Phone)

Jul 21, 2013, 3:13:19 AM7/21/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
You mean the Chernobyl *exclusion zone*? :)

Congratulations Anton! You guys on the diybio.EU list? We're not 'EU' we're EUrope. :)

Mega [Andreas Sturm]

Jul 21, 2013, 6:00:44 AM7/21/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Awesome! Wish you all the best for your biospace!

As Nathan mentions, radiation biology is very interesting, although also dangerous as diy project. Gather knowledge how to protect yourself if you hunt for mutated plants or lichens etc.

4phl...@gmail.com

Jul 21, 2013, 6:43:39 AM7/21/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Depends on the definition of radiation I think- if you want to diy it, UV box exposure is an option (which might be an interesting project for doing mutation studies).

-sung
Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.

Cathal Garvey (Phone)

Jul 21, 2013, 7:02:37 AM7/21/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Also, remember to measure your radiation in "banana equivalent dose units" prior to declaring it dangerous. Though, yes: many lab-uses of radiation will qualify as dangerous.. if it's usefully mutagenic it's also dangerously mutagenic. :)

Alexey Zaytsev

Jul 21, 2013, 7:04:58 AM7/21/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Why would anyone want undirected mutagenesis anyway?
> --
> "DIYbio" group.
> email to diybio+un...@googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/0c66ce62-a9e0-4cfc-8e52-d5606885cf1e%40email.android.com.

Eugen Leitl

Jul 21, 2013, 7:08:48 AM7/21/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 02:04:58PM +0300, Alexey Zaytsev wrote:

> Why would anyone want undirected mutagenesis anyway?

Massive parallellism. If your selection step is high-processivity,
then it does make sense.

Cathal Garvey (Phone)

Jul 21, 2013, 7:51:00 AM7/21/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Because precision, safe modification is all but illegal in EU, whereas shotgun-crazy mass-mutagenesis followed by costly, error prone selection is totally fine.

Andreas Sturm

Jul 21, 2013, 12:52:23 PM7/21/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, it is mad and you won't believe it, but it really is legislation in the EU...

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.

Anton Kulaga

Jul 22, 2013, 5:47:11 AM7/22/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
>You guys on the diybio.EU list? We're not 'EU' we're EUrope. :)

You mean http://www.diybio.eu/european-diy-bio-network/ ? No, not yet. We are just small group of people, we will need to cope with some legal issues and attract some new members to announce ourselves there.

2All:

it is common that most of the people think of Chernobyl when hear about Ukraine but it is not the only thing we have in Ukraine=) For instance Ukraine has the biggest gerontology institute in all ex-USSR so it is easier to do lifespan interventions on various model organisms in order to cure ageing. We are also not limited by many legal restrictions that are common in Europe, so from legal point of view experiments with genetic modification as well as animal experiments are much easier.

Pieter

Jul 23, 2013, 2:14:28 AM7/23/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
There is no required group size to be mentioned on the .eu site. You may like to join the european mailing list, to keep track of events near by.
Good lyck with setting up your lab!