Mycology farming question. Shiitake inoculation on tree stump.

Jonathan Cline

May 11, 2023, 6:49:07 PM5/11/23
to DIYbio
I am pondering spawning shiitake from a very large sycamore tree stump (6'+ double trunk) and suggestions would be appreciated.  The typical technique is to drill holes in the wood and hammer plug-spawn into the holes, then optionally cover with melted wax to retain moisture.  The difficulties are,

- the stump is about 3-4 years old.  it is cut very near level to the ground while the roots are deep from the very old prior tree.

- the location is south-facing and is exposed to full Southern California sun.  it's possible to cover the area (i.e. with a tarp) but temperature may range 60F - 95F and relative humidity may range 40%-80%.

- although it has been a rainy year, the surrounding area is not irrigated and becomes very dry.  moisture regulation of the soil would be a problem.

- the area can get windy and dusty due to the scourge of industrialized humanity which increases risk of contamination.

The basic info I've seen also suggests the project will fail because inoculation should occur within 6 months of a tree being cut.

Bizarrely, I haven't found anyone locally that knows about spawning mushrooms on logs.  Essentially no one has heard of this and I've had a few crazy stares, which is odd, because this is a standard technique.

Any hints?  Or is it not worth the effort?

Dakota Hamill

May 12, 2023, 12:24:35 PM5/12/23
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hammer some plugs in and check  back in 2-4 years.  Or get a bunch of hardwood chips dumped for free from a local arbor care company and innoculate that.

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/6acffa74-8a56-461a-81df-f842a49b5753n%40googlegroups.com.