Re: [DIYbio] DIYBio Hackerspace in Myrtle Beach

Avery louie

Mar 16, 2013, 2:04:12 AM3/16/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Depending on who is interested, and the scale of their interest, it doesn't take much space/money to get into biology, so it might be a reasonable investment to just see if you can get people in the door.

For example, if you just want to run some dna on a gel and look at it, maybe get it sequenced, you are looking at a few (2? 3?) hundred bucks and maybe a cubic meter of space.

If you want to routinely engineer plasmids, I would expect it to take at least a grand and a alightly larger "lab" space.

--A

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 6:43 PM, Andrea Stewart <narcis...@gmail.com> wrote:
So, my father is launching a hackerspace in Myrtle Beach out of frustration.
(Due to the bad face hackers get though, and due to the fact it'll obviously be half makerspace, he's dubbing it an Experimental Learning Collective)
He's been to Noisebridge, and that got him thinking about implementing DIYBio into a section, but he's not sure if there's anyone interested.

Is there anyone in or around Myrtle Beach that would be interested?
Even if you're not a South Carolinian, what are the odds that the existence of the space itself would generate interest?

Cheers,
Andrea

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio?hl=en.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/diybio/-/IRbmCqgZCRwJ.

Avery Ashley

Mar 17, 2013, 2:02:33 PM3/17/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I live in Whiteville, a little town in NC roughly an hour from MB.
I'd be very interested in joining/helping out. I'm very new to all this and just starting to figure it out for myself, but I do have a pretty nice lab setup right now.
I'd be more than willing to drive up there like once a week or so.