Bento Lab Feedback and uBiome kit up for grabs.

Bethan

Mar 3, 2016, 6:11:17 PM3/3/16
to DIYbio
Hey all,

I have been a fairly silent spectator on this group so far, but I'd like to ask for your feedback now.

I've been working on Bento Lab for the last two years with Philipp Boeing - some of you may know the project. We are members of the London Biohackspace and iGEM alumni. When we started out with the project, we were inspired by a number of awesome DIYbio hardware projects - openPCR, GaudiLabs to name just a few. However at our biohackspace, we kept seeing a large number of people joining and then losing interest, because building the hardware was not what they were wanted to do. You could argue that they should have more patience, but we saw it as a challenge to build a tool that could serve as a starter kit. The kind of kit you could use when you first get into genetics as a teenager.

Fast forward to now, w
e came up with our own version of the 'all in one' lab, we have built multiple versions of Bento Lab and we have beta tested with a group of really amazing people over the last six months. (One of my favourite is a group of retirees in their 70' doing mushroom DNA barcoding - really true citizen scientists.) We are still not at the price point that we would like to reach, but we recognise that we need start getting the labs out there to test our vision and make progress.

So, we are now preparing
 for a Kickstarter. We are looking for feedback via a survey, and we're offering a raffle for a uBiome kit in exchange for comments! If you'd like to help us by doing the survey, it's pretty quick and it's here: http://goo.gl/forms/CvQYex5XjF

I recognise the project may not be relevant to everyone in this group, but w
e really appreciate any suggestions you have.

Thanks for your help :)
Bethan

N.B. possibly of interest and not mentioned on our website yet - we’re planning to release both the firmware source code and the electronic specifications openly. We’re still looking for the best approach/open license for this, so if you have some advice for us, please get in touch.

Dakota Hamill

Mar 3, 2016, 6:13:50 PM3/3/16
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Congrats on everything.  I remember meeting you at iGEM 2 or 3 years ago and saw one of your earlier prototypes.  Looks super sleek now!

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/95d06a76-fd2d-4b0c-a22b-6c3002e4f5f0%40googlegroups.com.

210jrd

Mar 3, 2016, 9:16:10 PM3/3/16
to DIYbio
Looking forward to seeing where this is going, good luck. JD

John Griessen

Mar 4, 2016, 6:49:57 PM3/4/16
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On 03/03/2016 05:13 PM, Dakota Hamill wrote:
> Looks super sleek now!
Yes, it does! Congrats on the progress.

Damien - GlowGene

Mar 13, 2016, 10:30:05 AM3/13/16
to DIYbio
Congratulations on what you've accomplished so far Bethan, I love the all-in-one and portability aspect of the Bento Lab.
Gene engineering, molecular cloning, insert verification etc.would be some other things people could do with the Bento Lab.
I wish you lots of luck :)

Bethan

Mar 22, 2016, 12:21:14 PM3/22/16
to DIYbio
Thanks so much for the feedback everyone :) It's been a really enjoyable project to work on, and we got to work with some really amazing people!

Jake

Apr 1, 2016, 10:55:10 PM4/1/16
to DIYbio
Is it a misprint or does that little centrifuge really pull 20k RCF?

Bethan

Apr 2, 2016, 12:59:56 PM4/2/16
to DIYbio
Hey Jake - max RCF is 19200. Outer radius 43mm and max RPM 20000.

Alexey Zaytsev

Apr 4, 2016, 10:18:28 AM4/4/16
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Bethan,

congratulations on successful kickstarter!

I'm also developing an open-source PCR, and was wondering if you could answer a couple questions if it's not a secret.

I see those small holes between the tubes in the thermocycler. I've seen similar design in a new bio-rad cycler. What's the reason to have them?

Also, what are your ramp up/down temperatures?

Thanks in advance!

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.

Cathal (Phone)

Apr 4, 2016, 5:23:45 PM4/4/16
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Probably to minimise thermal mass in the heat block, to improve efficiency and ramp rate.

Philipp Boeing

Apr 6, 2016, 12:24:02 PM4/6/16
to DIYbio, cathal...@cathalgarvey.me
Cathal is correct! Currently, max ramp time is 2°C / second.

Alexey Zaytsev

Apr 6, 2016, 12:55:18 PM4/6/16
to diy...@googlegroups.com, Cathal Garvey
Thank you, makes lots of sense!