Re: GenoCon2: Design a plant promoter and we will construct it.

David Gifford

Feb 5, 2013, 9:37:35 PM2/5/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Wiki on OpenWetWare http://openwetware.org/wiki/GenoCon_2

On Tuesday, February 5, 2013 5:12:43 PM UTC+9, Robert Sidney Cox III wrote:

Design a synthetic plant promoter to control gene expression to specific plant tissues or times of day. RIKEN will synthesize the DNA, transform it into a plant, and measure the gene expression level using Firefly Luciferase to create glowing plants.

Prizes awarded to the best functioning designs!

Dakota Hamill

Feb 5, 2013, 10:01:33 PM2/5/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Who owns the IP of the promoter after it is submitted and synthesized and expressed etc?

David Gifford

Feb 5, 2013, 10:11:07 PM2/5/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!

See http://genocon.org/about-us/terms-and-conditions/  Ownership and Legality of Rights and Handling of Intellectual Property Rights

"Although the copyright of a Submission is attributable to the Entrant making that Submission, entry of each Entrant in GenoCon is conditional upon licensing the Submission to “Creative Commons Public License Attribution-ShareAlike (BY-SA), version 2.1, Japanese version” and permitting the use of the Submission by a third party in accordance with the license."
and more, including also
"GenoCon will not establish any license to exploit or use any intellectual property rights (excluding those ordinary rights described above) of Entrants or other third parties."

David

Dakota Hamill

Feb 5, 2013, 10:21:01 PM2/5/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
So in non-lawyer speak what does that mean?  I've heard of creative commons, but not creative commons, Japanese version, 2.1.

David Gifford

Feb 5, 2013, 10:51:42 PM2/5/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Dakota,
Good point, the particular version is the latest Japanese creative commons version.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.1/jp/deed.en_GB

You are free:

  • to copy, distribute, display, and perform the work
  • to make derivative works
  • to make commercial use of the work

Under the following conditions:

  • Attribution — You must give the original author credit.

  • Share Alike — If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under a licence identical to this one.

With the understanding that:

  • Waiver — Any of the above conditions can be waived if you get permission from the copyright holder.
  • Public Domain — Where the work or any of its elements is in the public domain under applicable law, that status is in no way affected by the license.
  • Other Rights — In no way are any of the following rights affected by the license:
    • Your fair dealing or fair use rights, or other applicable copyright exceptions and limitations;
    • The author's moral rights;
    • Rights other persons may have either in the work itself or in how the work is used, such aspublicity or privacy rights.
  • Notice — For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the licence terms of this work.
*******************
You can see the original link on this page from GenoCon2010 https://database.riken.jp/sw/wiki/en/cria196s1ria196s2i/
Best,
David

Sebastian S. Cocioba

Feb 5, 2013, 10:56:40 PM2/5/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I'm now even more motivated to give this a shot. Commercial restrictions make things difficult for me personally to contribute since I have no means of obtaining outside funding. Its all out of pocket so if I could generate funds using the tech then I would remain in business and thus continue to do more research. Thanks Dakota for asking that very important question. Lots of luck to everyone!

Sebastian S Cocioba
CEO & Founder
New York Botanics, LLC

Sent via Mobile E-Mail
Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio?hl=en.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/diybio/-/rZSuDXMPHhIJ.

Dakota Hamill

Feb 5, 2013, 11:32:33 PM2/5/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for clearing that up David, sounds like the licensing is pretty open, but also gives the creator a chance to potentially make something from it, which is good incentive.  There is some real warrant then to put in a lot of effort and come up with a really great gene design because...you get it synthesized for free and can then potentially do something useful with it!

Sebastian and Mega, get on that!  You two seem to be the plant people around here.

Patrik D'haeseleer

Feb 6, 2013, 3:17:36 AM2/6/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Just FYI, the BioCurious team is planning to submit a bunch of dark-induced promoters to match up with the bioluminescent plant project, as well as some tissue specific ones, and maybe some combinations of the two.

Not calling dibs or anything, just to let you guys know that dark-inducible will already be fairly well covered.

Cathal Garvey

Feb 6, 2013, 6:06:30 AM2/6/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Delighted to see them making that committment to openness, but is there
a covenant that no patents will be sought on the outcomes of the
competition? That's not something that Creative Commons covers.

On 06/02/13 03:11, David Gifford wrote:
> Thanks!
>
> See http://genocon.org/about-us/terms-and-conditions/
> <http://genocon.org/about-us/terms-and-conditions/> Ownership and
> Legality of Rights and Handling of Intellectual Property Rights
>
> "Although the copyright of a Submission is attributable to the Entrant
> making that Submission, entry of each Entrant in GenoCon is conditional
> upon licensing the Submission to �Creative Commons Public License
> Attribution-ShareAlike (BY-SA), version 2.1, Japanese version� and
> permitting the use of the Submission by a third party in accordance with
> the license."
> and more, including also
> "GenoCon will not establish any license to exploit or use any
> intellectual property rights (excluding those ordinary rights described
> above) of Entrants or other third parties."
>
> David
>

> On Wednesday, February 6, 2013 12:01:33 PM UTC+9, Dakota wrote:
>
> Who owns the IP of the promoter after it is submitted and
> synthesized and expressed etc?
>
> --
> Groups "DIYbio" group.
> an email to diybio+un...@googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio?hl=en.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/diybio/-/chYa0O4Aug4J.

Brian Degger

Feb 6, 2013, 10:01:38 AM2/6/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I had trouble looking at their punkpad, seem to need to be a member, but no clear way to become one .

On Wednesday, February 6, 2013, Cathal Garvey <cathal...@cathalgarvey.me> wrote:
> Delighted to see them making that committment to openness, but is there
> a covenant that no patents will be sought on the outcomes of the
> competition? That's not something that Creative Commons covers.
>
> On 06/02/13 03:11, David Gifford wrote:
>> Thanks!
>>
>> See http://genocon.org/about-us/terms-and-conditions/
>> <http://genocon.org/about-us/terms-and-conditions/> Ownership and
>> Legality of Rights and Handling of Intellectual Property Rights
>>
>> "Although the copyright of a Submission is attributable to the Entrant
>> making that Submission, entry of each Entrant in GenoCon is conditional
>> upon licensing the Submission to “Creative Commons Public License
>> Attribution-ShareAlike (BY-SA), version 2.1, Japanese version” and
Brian Degger
twitter: @drbrian

Jeswin

Feb 6, 2013, 11:17:54 AM2/6/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 10:01 AM, Brian Degger <brian....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I had trouble looking at their punkpad, seem to need to be a member, but no
> clear way to become one .

I tried to look at the tutorial link they posted up and you have to
sign. They gave the convineint option to use a google account. It then
took me to a page asking permission to obtain my email and contacts
from my Gmail acct. No thanks.

There's always a price.

David Gifford

Feb 6, 2013, 5:29:22 PM2/6/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Dear Jeswin,
Thank you for your comment, its an understandable concern.
We only use the emails to contact people with information about the contest.
We need some kind of contact point, and email is a normal way of contacting.
David

David Gifford

Feb 6, 2013, 5:32:12 PM2/6/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Dear Brian,
It's the platform for this project.
Sincerely,
David

David Gifford

Feb 6, 2013, 5:37:35 PM2/6/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Dear Cathal,

Thank you. By covenant, is this what you mean? (from the terms and conditions)

"Each Entrant must establish free of charge in respect of the
Operators non-exclusive license to exploit or use the patent rights,
utility model rights, trademark rights, design rights, and other
intellectual property rights (including the right to receive those
intellectual property rights and excluding any copyrights; the same
applies hereinafter in this Article) included in the Submission, only
for the purpose of conducting GenoCon. If the Operators exploit or use
any intellectual property rights included in the Submission entered by
an Entrant for any purpose other than conducting GenoCon, the
Operators will obtain in advance the consent of the Entrant regarding
the exploitation and use of the intellectual property rights as
necessary upon consultation with the Entrant.

GenoCon will not establish any license to exploit or use any
intellectual property rights (excluding those ordinary rights
described above) of Entrants or other third parties."

Best,

David

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 8:06 PM, Cathal Garvey
<cathal...@cathalgarvey.me> wrote:

> Delighted to see them making that committment to openness, but is there
> a covenant that no patents will be sought on the outcomes of the
> competition? That's not something that Creative Commons covers.
>
> On 06/02/13 03:11, David Gifford wrote:
> > Thanks!
> >
> > See http://genocon.org/about-us/terms-and-conditions/
> > <http://genocon.org/about-us/terms-and-conditions/> Ownership and
> > Legality of Rights and Handling of Intellectual Property Rights
> >
> > "Although the copyright of a Submission is attributable to the Entrant
> > making that Submission, entry of each Entrant in GenoCon is conditional
> > upon licensing the Submission to “Creative Commons Public License
> > Attribution-ShareAlike (BY-SA), version 2.1, Japanese version” and

Cathal Garvey

Feb 6, 2013, 5:49:35 PM2/6/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Looks about as good as I could reasonably expect! Thanks David!
>>> upon licensing the Submission to �Creative Commons Public License
>>> Attribution-ShareAlike (BY-SA), version 2.1, Japanese version� and

Robert Sidney Cox III

Feb 6, 2013, 9:18:58 PM2/6/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hello DrBrian,

You should be able to read the tutorials without any registration here:

Robert Sidney Cox III

Feb 6, 2013, 9:21:31 PM2/6/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi phillyj,

The login credentials are to prevent spambots from modifying our wiki. You can view them without any registration here:

Brian Degger

Feb 6, 2013, 10:30:03 PM2/6/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
thanks for the help with login,
Cheers brian
> --
> -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups DIYbio group. To post to this group, send email to diy...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diybio+un...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/diybio?hl=en
> Learn more at www.diybio.org
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio?hl=en.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/diybio/-/puWCap38nnQJ.

David Gifford

Feb 8, 2013, 4:36:47 AM2/8/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
We decided to extend the promoter design challenge by two weeks, so you can have more time to refine your designs and create new ones.

We updated PromoterCAD with a new UI, and added more explanatory tooltips. There are also new normalized data sources to help you find interesting genes, and the "Finish Now" command gives you the ability to fill in blank sequences with the natural promoter sequence from the last gene retrieved. Please give it a try!

PromoterCAD (current version):
http://app.linkdata.org/run/app1s256i

GenoCon2 Promoter Design submission guide:
https://hackpad.com/GenoCon2-Promoter-Design-Submission-A1acQF0EkFe

PromoterCAD tutorials:
https://hackpad.com/ep/group/-1cy1rBbH1N9RjK3NG6WmRv

If you need help with anything please contact us!
-The GenoCon Team

--
Robert Sidney Cox III
Foreign Postdoctoral Researcher