Sequencing and synthesis predictions for 2010 from 2003

Bryan Bishop

Apr 24, 2009, 1:09:53 PM4/24/09
to diy...@googlegroups.com, kan...@gmail.com
Someone mentioned this quote from Rob Carlson--

"The parts for a DNA synthesizer can now be purchased for
approximately $10,000. By 2010 a single person will be able to
sequence or synthesize 10^10 bases a day. Within a decade a single
person could sequence or synthesize all the DNA describing all the
people on the planet many times over in an eight-hour day or sequence
his or her own DNA within seconds." (Biosecurity and Bioterrorism:
Biodefense Strategy, Practice, and Science Volume 1 Number 3, August
2003.)

Looks like we have some work to do, considering we have less than
eight months. Hop to it!

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507

Jake

Apr 24, 2009, 3:22:55 PM4/24/09
to DIYbio
LOL! Better get to work on the flying cars also!