DIYbio Toronto getting more active

Connor Dickie

Nov 25, 2014, 11:47:05 AM11/25/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Just a quick note to let everyone in Canada (and elsewhere) that the DIYbio community in Toronto is really starting to flourish. The Space Channel recently did a little piece on us, and I figured I would share it here for those who are interested to see what's happening in biohacking in the Great White North.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeTYlpPcsvY

As you can see we've got a proper space now that's equipped with a decent beginners wetlab. As always, we're looking to connect with interested folks (both near and far) who might want to learn more about biology with us. We're also looking for opportunities that can help us propel our community forward.

Everyone is welcome at DIYbio Toronto, so if you are even in town, please look us up!

35 Liberty St., Suite 105.
Toronto, Ontario
M6K 1A6
CANADA

~ Connor

Mega [Andreas Stuermer]

Nov 25, 2014, 2:41:27 PM11/25/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Nice!
Do you have/intend to get S1 permission to try basic genetic experiments in common?

If I get my vector assembled, you can have it. It should be a legal genetic engineering experiment that does not require a certified lab (cisgenic, or "self-cloning"). Gotta check with Canadian laws though. Plus I can't promise what I don't have yet. Hopefully assembly will work and it really produces the pigment ;)

Connor Dickie

Nov 25, 2014, 2:54:34 PM11/25/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hey Mega,

We are already doing genetic engineering at DIYbio Toronto with the help of Synbiota (I also work at Synbiota). In Canada we don't need any formal permission to work with the type of genetic engineering we're interested in (transgenic e.coli). Permission Free Innovation Lives! ... You just have to come to Canada to experience it.

You can check out the group's work (lab book, DNA, etc.) here: https://synbiota.com/projects/sciencehack-diybioto/summary

Can you tell me a bit more about your Vector? Perhaps DIYbio Toronto can assist? Let me know!

Regards,

Connor

Mega [Andreas Stuermer]

Nov 25, 2014, 3:45:38 PM11/25/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Interesting. That is awesome, one more country to my free science list.

List:
-USA
-Canada

;)

 Sent you the details via PM

Cathal (Phone)

Nov 25, 2014, 4:40:06 PM11/25/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Maybe Canada deserves first place as, to the best of my knowledge, their "security" forces have never rammed someone's doors down with assault rifles for having peri dishes at home (and failed to apologise afterwards). That could change, let's all watch Toronto closely.. ;)

Mega [Andreas Stuermer]

Nov 25, 2014, 5:11:03 PM11/25/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com, cathal...@cathalgarvey.me
For what I heard, they learnt from it though. At least I don't know of any other case. Making mistakes happens, making them twice makes them failures.

Cathal (Phone)

Nov 25, 2014, 5:21:55 PM11/25/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
If a child makes a mistake and refuses to apologise or make amends, I would not trust that child not to repeat the mistake. I think no differently of adults.

On 25 November 2014 22:11:03 GMT+00:00, "Mega [Andreas Stuermer]" <masters...@gmail.com> wrote:
For what I heard, they learnt from it though. At least I don't know of any other case. Making mistakes happens, making them twice makes them failures.

Mega [Andreas Stuermer]

Nov 26, 2014, 8:43:54 AM11/26/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
That is true, actually...

John Griessen

Nov 28, 2014, 6:55:49 PM11/28/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On 11/25/2014 04:21 PM, Cathal (Phone) wrote:
> I think no differently of adults.

Yes, children above age three and a half are "little people"
and can think -- they just hallucinate a lot and have to be managed...