An electric current can influence your dreams, DIY?

Dirk Broenink

May 12, 2014, 12:52:11 PM5/12/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
According to this news article based on this Nature article, shortly letting an electric current flow through the frontal area of the head has influence on your dreams. I wonder if you can make a setup for yourself to do this, and how?

Posted here since it is somewhat related to biology, and because I like this place :) If this is not an appropriate post for this forum, my apologies! (I will take it down if requested).

Quote: "A small amount of electrical current could be the key to letting people control their dreams. A new study led from the Goethe University Frankfurt has found that by applying current in certain frequencies to a sleeper's scalp, just above the forehead, that person may be able to gain some control over their dreams."

I have an Arduino at home, could I use that? Or are there better tools for the job?

Mega [Andreas Stuermer]

May 12, 2014, 1:33:17 PM5/12/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi! Sounds awesome.
If you like I can connect you to an electrical engineer who probably has the expertise to build you that circuit

Dakota Hamill

May 12, 2014, 2:05:01 PM5/12/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I took a cord to a lampshade and stripped the two terminal leads. I
made a helmet out of a spaghetti strainer and attached the leads to
the makeshift dream helmet. I plugged it in and everything went dark.
I don't remember dreaming, only excruciating pain and the smell of
burnt hair and pennies.

That dream helmet sucked. Maybe I forgot the power crystals.

Disclaimer: Do not try this at home. For some reason i felt like
making up a fictitious story because I'm bored. Back to the lab!
> --
> -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups DIYbio group. To post to this group, send email to diy...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diybio+un...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/diybio?hl=en
> Learn more at www.diybio.org
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/cd704426-f856-4bfe-9caa-66797d75612e%40googlegroups.com.

Mega [Andreas Stuermer]

May 12, 2014, 4:06:11 PM5/12/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Simple code.

Arduino (Atmega32 right?)

-> wait 20 milliseconds -> portb1 = on -> wait 5milliseconds -> Portb1 off

~40 times per second ( equals 40 hz)

Mega [Andreas Stuermer]

May 12, 2014, 4:06:38 PM5/12/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Amplify with a transitor

John Griessen

May 12, 2014, 7:10:46 PM5/12/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On 05/12/2014 11:52 AM, Dirk Broenink wrote:
> I have an Arduino at home, could I use that? Or are there better tools for the job?

I liked Dakota's fictional allegory on this :-)

There could be better tools, but in what area? Code is not the area Dakota and I are thinking of,
it's the physical safety design parts that no one has mentioned yet...

The best kind of system for this kind of exploration would be designed
after knowing what's safe according to the usual human body model as impedances and shock risks, and
yet, for this app, not even that is "just right", and it falls in the medical device territory, and ...

But if you want to do anything, start with a low power microcontroller that can run at 3 Volts for days
of this kind of stimulation from a couple of 1.5V button cell batteries, and have no wires from
the house power --- please...

Cathal Garvey

May 15, 2014, 4:51:08 AM5/15/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
What interests me more is that they've identified a brainwave frequency
range that induces lucidity; there are more ways to do that than
sticking electrodes across your brain.

Binaural interference ("beats") can allegedly induce targeted brainwave
activity, and there's an Android app for it in FDroid.org which allows
you to define your own presets, anyone want to sleep with headphones and
share their results? :)
--
T: @onetruecathal, @IndieBBDNA
P: +353876363185