cheaper DIY protease inhibitors

Andreas "Mega" Stuermer

May 27, 2024, 5:22:37 AMMay 27
to DIYbio
Hi everyone!

Just wanted to see if someone has had ideas how to make your own protease inhibitor cocktail. PICs are pretty expensive, like >500$ to stabilize 500 mL of liquid protein extract.

I remembered finding, for example, that the stain "trypan blue" that people use for mammalian cell culture is also used as a dye for jeans, so you can either buy 10 mL for 50$ from Thermofischer, or 1 kg for 50$ (didn't look at prices on alibaba) if you are willing to go through the development proccess.

EDTA is a component of protease inhibitor cocktails and is quite cheap (roughly 150$ for a kilogram) , but I don't know yet about the other substances.

Would be interesting if someone has looked into this

Andreas "Mega" Stuermer

May 27, 2024, 5:25:46 AMMay 27
to DIYbio
https://bitesizebio.com/58195/protease-inhibitors-101/

The most commonly used protease inhibitors apparentlly are:
AEBSF
APROTININ
EDTA
BESTATIN