diybio logo and illustrations

Mackenzie Cowell

Dec 11, 2009, 11:09:08 PM12/11/09
to diybio
Last week I hired Micah & Caroline from WeAreaGoodCompany.com to design an extensible diybio logo and related illustrations. I gave them a quick intro to diybio and synthetic biology and asked them to create artwork that could be used by diybio.org and built apon by regional groups + related organizations (diybio-nyc, bosslab, etc.). I stressed extensibility – the final design should support remixing by all interested parties.

Micah & Caroline are about halfway done and I want to show you their work so far and solicit comments and suggestions. Above all the graphics are intended to be a community resource, so they need to be built with community feedback.  In particular, feedback on the following two questions would be much appreciated.

* what 10 icons should be designed?
* what graphical concepts should comprise the diybio logo?

Details and artwork are on the blog.  Please comment there or in this thread.

Thanks!

Mac

--
+1.231.313.9062 / m...@diybio.org / @100ideas

Jason Morrison

Dec 12, 2009, 12:16:51 AM12/12/09
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I'm not suuuper keen on the black-filled copy (the capital I looks like a numeral 1 and the Y-b kerning is a little loose) - but everything else is NIIICE - even the type looks great when drop shadowed/patterned/filled.

The last two pieces are absolutely off the hook!

I can't wait to see local group logos!!

-Jason

Jason Morrison
jason.p....@gmail.com
http://jayunit.net
(585) 216-5657

JonathanCline

Dec 12, 2009, 3:21:34 AM12/12/09
to DIYbio
On Dec 11, 10:09 pm, Mackenzie Cowell <m...@diybio.org> wrote:
> * what 10 icons should be designed?

A microarray plate. (96 dots of color red, green, or yellow)
A group of digital signals coming out of a petri dish or flask or the
above.
A robot arm (holding pipette?)
A laptop connected to the microscope.
A mushroom and a yeast and a bacteria playing happily.

I can't figure out what the one second from the right is (looks like a
house). Many other icons for groups catch on (including iGEM logos)
because of the cute-ness factor, so more cuteness might be good,
although they are a bit cute already.

> * what graphical concepts should comprise the diybio logo?

Dunno.

## Jonathan Cline
## jcl...@ieee.org
## Mobile: +1-805-617-0223
########################

Cathal Garvey

Dec 12, 2009, 7:54:00 AM12/12/09
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mac,
Love this idea! It smacks of the old coat-of-arms tradition, where one's crest was intended to say something about them. In this case, a garage biotech could use these logos in their business icon to indicate that they support and employ DIYbio ethos and philosophies.

As far as picking which,
I like the DNA, even if the structure is technically incorrect. ;)
I also like the sprouting plant, the beaker and the microscope.
I don't get the house, and what might be a pippette pointing skywards?

Looking forward to seeing these finished!
-Cathal

2009/12/12 Mackenzie Cowell <m...@diybio.org>

letters.cunningprojects.com
twitter.com/onetruecathal

Nathan McCorkle

Dec 12, 2009, 11:25:37 AM12/12/09
to diy...@googlegroups.com
if you are concerned with something like the handedness of DNA, maybe you could also consider that there are 10 bases for every 360 degree rotation of the helix. I also don't get the "house" icon, maybe a castle from super mario??? or a thermocycler that someone installed bubbles in? Or maybe it just represents someone doing bio at home? I think the pipet could be a little clearer as well, give it less symmetry. Symmetry is overrated.

Let us know when you've got more!
Nathan McCorkle
Rochester Institute of Technology
College of Science, Biotechnology/Bioinformatics

Jason Bobe

Dec 12, 2009, 1:44:56 PM12/12/09
to diybio
* what graphical concepts should comprise the diybio logo?

I think one critical requirement for the logo is that the # of colors be limited to 2 or less and otherwise designed in such a way that the logo can be easily (and cheaply) used for various marketing collateral, e.g. stickers, t-shirts, and other printed goods.  My personal preference is for logos that are simple and not over-designed.  Our logo should probably continue to be a logotype/wordmark rather than purely symbolic (http://www.logodesignsource.com/types.html), although a mixture of logotype and symbols might work too.  The first example is a mixture of logotype and symbols, but too many symbols in my opinion.  Symbols are difficult because you have got to find one which is able to sum-up a bunch of concepts.  In the current samples, the second which you refer to as "garnished" I think is too overdesigned (neat concept though).  Looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks,
Jason

Tito Jankowski

Dec 12, 2009, 2:13:16 PM12/12/09
to diy...@googlegroups.com, diybio
I agree wholeheartedly with Jason. Symbols are difficult - I would like to see logos that capture the 'spirit' of DIYbio rather than the 'science' (so maybe a 'community lab', or 'safety' logo, but pipettes etc are overboard)

Tito

Sent from my iPhone

Tuur

Dec 18, 2009, 12:12:14 PM12/18/09
to DIYbio
please listen to what David says on the DIYbio blog, he's one of the
best graphic designers on this planet (and others) and happens to have
an interest in synbio / diybio ...

I too believe this isn't about translating the tools DIYbio uses into
symbols but about creating a truly DIYbio visual language. I think
this is also an opportunity to make use of the computing/programming
skills in the community: logo's that evolve, different logo's for
different sub-groups based on the same algorithms / protocols, ... ?