Re: [DIYbio] DIY Community Member Survey For Upcoming Exhibition

Bryan Bishop

Feb 12, 2013, 2:43:31 PM2/12/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com, Peter Last, Bryan Bishop
On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 1:02 PM, Peter Last wrote:
> So we need your help! We're looking to interview members of the DIYBio
> community to get your perspectives on these issues. If you're interested in
> taking some time and sharing your thoughts, please check out our quick
> survey. Thanks very much!

Your questions seem broken or wrong.

The "What DIY organization are you a part of?" question is marked as
required. However, one of the main features of diybio is that you do
not need institutional or organizational affiliation.

The options for "How would you describe your level of expertise in the
area in which your organization works?" are only "total newcomer,
enlightened amateur, formally educated expert, accredited
professional" which seems to only allow a pretentious "enlightened"
answer for someone who doesn't want to call herself an expert or claim
accreditation. This is a DIY community, after all.

None of these questions seem specific to diybio; maybe you could just
re-use the survey data that Jarkko or the others collected.

http://diybio.org/survey/
http://diybiology.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/2010-05-04_diybio_survey_raw_public11.xlswp-content/uploads/2010/04/2010-05-04_diybio_survey_raw_public.csv
http://piratepad.net/diybio-survey
http://surveys.peerproduction.net/2012/07/mapping-hackers-diy-community-survey-2012-results/

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507

Bryan Bishop

Feb 12, 2013, 3:21:05 PM2/12/13
to Peter Last, diybio, Bryan Bishop
On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 2:10 PM, Peter Last wrote:
> thank you for the references to the open survey information.

You're welcome, there's a lot of data out there from all the surveys already.

> Regarding the organizational affiliation, I think we need to clarify that a
> bit. We're using this survey to get in touch with a large variety of DIY
> organizations (tech sector groups, health and biotech, and food &

I see.

> We've also been struggling with the "titles" that people might want to
> associate themselves with around their level of skill. Would a multi-point
> scale with "Newcomer" on one end and "Accredited Professional" on the other
> and no other titles be a little less intimidating and/or
> pretentious-sounding for people?

I should clarify that I didn't mean to say that the question was
pretentious, but rather that selecting the answer could be
pretentious. Honestly it depends on what information you are trying to
extract with that question. Why would any type of formal accreditation
even matter in this context?