Fwd: First FundScience Meetup on July 15th.

Eri Gentry

Jun 22, 2011, 9:38:35 PM6/22/11
to DIYb...@googlegroups.com, biocu...@googlegroups.com
Great event for scientists interested in "crowdfunding" for their projects:
---

           image001.gif       In Partnership with    image002.png

FundScience.org is holding it’s first ever meetup in partnership with QB3 @ Mission Bay. Thank you Douglas Crawford and Linda Eng for helping make this happen.

At this first meetup we would like to share how FundScience, an early stage non-profit startup is helping advance science with support of science fans like yourself. We will also feature two engaging talks by Lee Worden PhD and Duan Xu PhD. Finally we would like to hear from you about some of the areas in science where you feel FundScience could make an impact through crowdfunding.

Location600 16th Street, San Francisco 94158. Room N114 Genentech Hall.

When:      July 15th. Event starts at 6:00 PM. Doors open at 5:30 PM.

Price:        Free Event. However we would encourage you to support the event with $10 donations

Food:        We will provide finger foods and homebrew beer that has been graciously donated by Joel Brand.

Promotions: An adventurous dragon boat ride for up to 20 was donated by Peter Kruger of the Berkeley Dragons and will be auctioned at the event. We will also Raffle an ultimate NVIDIA gaming card for your PC.

RSVP:        Please RSVP at least 3 days before the event so that we can get an accurate head count for food. You can signup at http://www.meetup.com/fundscience orhttp://www.facebook.com/fundscience.

Who we are:

FundScience was formed to get the public invested in science. We aim to accomplish two goals:

1. Provide a way for scientists and researchers to self fund their research by crowd funding.

2. Bring people closer to science by providing an insight into research activities done across the globe.

In addition to staying in touch with scientific activity via FundScience.org, we are launching monthly meetups to give you an opportunity to get to know your favorite researchers in person. Come find out how you can be a part of their amazing work.

I co-founded FundScience a few years ago with the hope of getting the public invested in science. We had two goals when we began. The first was to get much needed funding and guidance to young researchers. The other was to get non-scientists to interact with researchers and understand the research process. Our first round of projects was selected and posted on the site (www.fundscience.org) late last year. In keeping with our goal of bringing science to the masses we've decided to complement our online presence with a monthly meetup were we can get researchers to discuss their advancements and get non-scientists to come and ask questions, interact and fund some projects.

Agenda:

·      Introduction to FundScience

·      Presentation by Lee Worden (10 minutes)

·      Questions

·      Presentation by Duan Xu (10 Minutes)

·      Questions

·      Maker Bot Demo, small experiments and Liquid Nitrogen Ice Cream

·      Drinks and socializing

Lee Worden PhD Abstract:

I will present key results from my work on mathematical models of cooperation and coexistence in ecology and evolution.  This provides context for a proposed modeling project, aiming to develop basic theory about collective problem solving and deliberation, that is, how to find an agreeable solution to a problem when not everyone agrees on what's desirable.  I will present preliminary results from that project.  If time permits I will say a few words about WorkingWiki, the free software I've developed for open online research collaboration.

Duan Xu PhD Abstract:

Each year, There are more than half a million babies in the US born prematurely. The economic cost is tens of billions of dollars annually for additional healthcare and educational needs of the affected children, superimposed upon profound, unquantifiable emotional distress on the immediate family and surrounding communities.  A better understanding of the plasticity of the brain would presumably offer treatment strategies to improve the cognitive outcome of those newborns, who are negatively affected by their premature birth. We aim to achieve this by developing in vivo imaging tools to construct and understand these evolving brain networks.

Following the speakers we may have some liquid nitrogen ice cream, perhaps a Maker Bot demo, and some small experiments to engage the mind.

On behalf of the FundScience team we hope to see you there!

Meetup_FundScience.pdf