Fwd: Meeting in the Flesh was: Newcastle Makerfaire update via Cathal

Bryan Bishop

Mar 19, 2010, 7:39:31 PM3/19/10
to diybio...@googlegroups.com
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Brian Degger <brian....@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 6:37 PM
Subject: Meeting in the Flesh was: Newcastle Makerfaire update via Cathal
To: diy...@googlegroups.com

It was a great event, hope to have a lot more to show next year.
Interested to know who have met others in physical space

Cathal <--> Brian(me) is one pair, but what others are there.
Something to be said for embodied meetings.
So I definitely want to meet more DIYBio'rs. Are there any London
ones(plus Vincent)? Or Netherlands based,
Or Belgium. Think Imperial had an open day for the iGem thing, but
ended up at an Open Source Hardware event instead.
Still, think it would be a good intro to synthetic biology.

The thing I dont quite understand, is how you simulate the genes
working in silico. Does this use an open source program?

Cheers,
Brian

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 11:28 PM, Bryan Bishop <kan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Makerfaire Newcastle Update: A DIYbio Success Story
> http://letters.cunningprojects.com/?p=112
>
> """
> I’ve just returned this evening from Makerfaire: Newcastle. I had an
> amazing time, and I was thoroughly inspired by the people I met there
> and the things they’re doing.
>
> Among the amazing folks was Brian Degger of Transitlab and Lab In a
> Box, with whom I had been in touch for a long time prior to co-hosting
> the DIYbio table at the event. He’s a really creative guy, and even
> while we sat at the table he was hacking together a lab stirrer from
> sugru, a stirring bar from Micro-Science and a breadboard!
>
> One item of interest we were able to demonstrate repeatedly was the
> DNA extraction from Kiwifruit, which was a big hit. We ran through
> microbiology as a hobby, which generated a lot of interest, especially
> the bioluminescent bacteria. There were a few people who wanted to try
> it themselves, including Jonty who suggested we share results and even
> strains! Collaborations and bioluminescent networking, I love it!
>
> I met a guy who did a really awesome sounding project with
> bioluminescent algae, which only respond to disturbance. Apparently he
> hooked a large bed of these guys up to a speaker bank, and played
> music through the water to trigger waves of light in time with the
> music! Sounds amazing, hoping to talk more about it soon.
>
> We were surprised by the level of interest people at the Faire had in
> our work and the DIYbio subject matter in general, it was really
> encouraging. Besides giving a presentation at Datarama and later again
> at Maker Faire, the BBC interviewed me on our work and on DIYbio as a
> hobby and as a citizen science necessity. Apparently they’ll be
> putting it online later this month.
>
> All in all, I had an amazing and even transformative time at Maker
> Faire, and unless next year sees me on distant shores and unable to
> attend, I’ll be returning with glee. It was great meeting Brian and
> others in person and meeting new people besides, and I can’t wait to
> do it again.
> """
>
> - Bryan
> http://heybryan.org/