More Updates on Cork Biomakerspace

Cathal Garvey

Jun 20, 2014, 12:07:00 PM6/20/14
to diybio-...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,
Some updates on the Biomakerspace will follow. The short version is that
the project is growing fast, but we still have to secure seed funding to
launch the space, both for initial outfitting and for the reason that
both Cork City Council and the EPA will want on-site management at all
times when the lab is open (which should be "daily" in the ideal case!).

But before I cover the recent progress, I'm reminding myself that this
is a community project. I'm not the only person here who's really
gunning for this and wants to see it succeed, and while I've been making
as much time as I can to meet people and solicit their support, I am but
one person, and together we are many!

Attached is a version of the proposal document I've been passing around.
It would be nicer with well-designed letterhead, but as it stands it
summarises where we are, what we want or need, and what we want to
accomplish. It's written, if you'll excuse it, with a special focus on
the two areas of "Education" and "Business", because those are the
things supporters in Cork will want to hear, but if it's not clear then
yes: this is still a community space where people are supposed to come
and do awesome things with nature. :)

If you, or people you know, have connections in organisations or
companies who can offer material support or merely endorsement, it would
mean a lot to me and the other founding members if you could pass this
document and some kind words along. There are contact details in the
document, but by all means CC me and/or Bill when you contact others,
and pass off the responsibility if you don't feel like advocating
further (but please do, use your loud outside voice).

Anyway, some milestones to crow about:
* We have a verbal agreement, soon to be clad in paper and ink, for the
use of Grattan House near Tyndall. I am hoping to be able to sign this
coming week, and as soon as we have keys I'd like to organise a
build-in; mow the lawn, paint the walls, clean the windows, and install
whatever furniture we can collectively scrounge!
* We have agreement from Cork Educate Together, a great local school, to
take part in an education partnership for STEM (Science, Technology,
Engineering, Mathematics), which would help get kids and their parents
interested in Biotech. This isn't a collective responsibility; members
are not *required* to teach kids, but I'd like to think we'd all proudly
showcase our work to visitors and impressionable kids as the opportunity
arises.
* At a party for CorkBIC (a local business group) yesterday, I got to
make ties and introduce the project to a number of local or national
leaders in business. As business support for the initial launch is a
likely necessity, I consider their willingness to listen a good sign.

Go forth and advocate; help make this space a reality and I'll totally
help you hack nature and make awesome stuff.

best,
Cathal

--
T: @onetruecathal, @IndieBBDNA
P: +353876363185

Cathal Garvey

Jun 20, 2014, 12:11:00 PM6/20/14
to diybio-...@googlegroups.com
I should really add the source document for that proposal, so others can
hack it as needed.

I only ask that if you hack it in more than utterly trivial ways, don't
attach my name without asking me. Please delete my name if you don't
ask, or I don't consent.

The document is markdown, and I compiled it using the latest version of
pandoc using `pandoc -o <filename>.pdf -f markdown -t latex
biomakerspace_proposal.md`.

Enjoy!
biomakerspace_proposal.md
0x988B9099.asc
signature.asc

Tríona

Jun 20, 2014, 6:45:04 PM6/20/14
to diybio-...@googlegroups.com

At a talk recently the dcu innovation campus guy wanted to get involved with biohacking or the like. I'm not sure how they would be about a distance relationship but it might be worth talking to them.
Triona