Fwd: Open Source Micro Array

Parijata Mackey

Nov 27, 2009, 5:35:32 PM11/27/09
to diybio-...@googlegroups.com

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: Joseph Jackson <joseph....@gmail.com>
Date: November 27, 2009 4:25:23 PM CST
To: DIYbio <diy...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Open Source Micro Array

Came across this from back in 2004.  Not sure how widely it is being
used but I will investigate.

http://www.bioinformatics.org/pogo/
http://genomebiology.com/2004/5/8/R58

Our goal was to construct an instrument that most molecular biology
laboratories could assemble and operate (Figure 1). The POSaM platform
uses mostly commodity, off-the-shelf components, with only a small
number of components and circuit boards requiring custom fabrication.
Schematics for the custom components are included in Additional data
files 1 and 2, which also include instructions for assembling the
POSaM. The rest of the user manual, with instructions for use, is in
Additional data file 2. (Mechanical drawings are AutoCADDWG format;
layout files may be used to order printed circuit boards over the
Internet.) Because high-quality and high-density cDNA and oligoarrays
are available commercially, our goal was not to build a large, high-
throughput machine. We intended to design a flexible instrument
capable of producing a myriad of different oligoarrays quickly and
inexpensively. To meet these goals, we constructed an instrument
(Figure 1a) that is capable of printing multiple slides in parallel,
typically four to eight, but up to 27 slides with the current slide
holder (Figure 1b), each with 9,800 different reporters on 8 cm2 of
modified standard glass slides. Depending upon the surface chemistry
of the substrate, the feature sizes range from 100 to 150 μm, with a
center-to-center distance (pitch) of 280 μm. The system software,
called Lombardi, controls the firing of the piezoelectric pumps,
positions the print head, and dispenses the wash solutions. Normally
four to six slides are printed at the same time. The cost for the
reagents is low (less than US$50 per slide, see Table 1) as such tiny
amounts of phosphoramidite and tetrazole are required.