Fwd: [Dc401-l] outdoor sensors/envi sci?

David Johnson

Oct 4, 2013, 9:05:47 AM10/4/13
to diybio...@googlegroups.com
A friend of mine on the DC401 list had a question I thought might be best suited for the DIYBio group. Any takers?

-Dave Johnson

Oct 4, 2013, 9:13:48 AM10/4/13
to diybio...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I'm a long-time lurker on this list. I just like to keep track with what the Boston DIYBIO community is up to :)

But this sounds right up my alley. I've been working on an environmental monitoring platform.

I haven't used a lot of the sensors that you talk about, but the platform abstracts sensors so its easy to add new ones. The range with Xbee Pro units is 1-2 miles if WiFi isn't interfering.

One sensors I've been wanting to add is a camera that takes pictures at some interval. Video streams demand too much bandwidth of Xbees but I think that most environmental applications would be fine with periodic pictures or at least bursts when there's a trigger.

Anyway, let me know what you think!

--Louis