Let's re-awaken BOSSLab with reports on research, proposed or accomplished

brianc...@yahoo.com

Oct 21, 2013, 3:48:31 PM10/21/13
to diybio...@googlegroups.com
How've you all been? Hope you're well, not too busy and just a little bored, so that you'll want to meet on the second Sunday at 3pm again, on November 9th, at Sprout, to re-connect.

One of us could present on their own or others' research, and we could think together about accomplished research's impacts and implications, or proposed research's best strategy.

Unless one of us has a more pressing idea, I could present about the Center for Open Science, and The Open Science Project. These similar-sounding sites are actually quite distinct; I'm eager to hear your thinking on them.

How's that sound? (Or, do any of us have research, done or considered, yours or others, that you'd really like to hear our thoughts on?)

Looking forward to catching up with you all and your news,

Brian

Lyre Calliope

Oct 21, 2013, 10:38:01 PM10/21/13
to diybio...@googlegroups.com, brianc...@yahoo.com
Hiya! New member here!

I was at Science Hack Day Boston this past weekend and there was tons of interest in exploring the intersection of open science and synthetic biology. A bunch of us are interested in exploring further and want to organize a diybio 101 class. Seems like BOSSLab would be the best place to do this!

November 9 is the weekend of the Aaron Schwartz hackathon, but I'd definitely be willing to pop up to Davis to meet up with ya'll! :)

I could present on the new Mozilla Science Lab as well as Software Carpentry if anyone is interested.

Melissa Lewis from the Center for Open Science presented on their work Science Hack Day, and I'm really excited about it. They're doing some critically important R&D. I think there might be some stickers left over. Will bring a stack with me if I can get my hands on them.

And I hope you don't mind the plug, but there's going to be an Open Knowledge Foundation meeting this Wednesday at the Berkman Center. A few of us are planning to continue our discussions about open science and diybio projects we're interested in. Here's info if anyone is interested in joining us and sharing some of your knowledge: http://www.meetup.com/OpenKnowledgeFoundation/Boston-MA/1030932/

Cheers!
Lyre Calliope

http://captaincalliope.net
http://twitter.com/captaincalliope

Mac Cowell

Oct 22, 2013, 4:45:14 PM10/22/13
to diybio...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

I am coming to town for iGEM next weekend and will be around Oct 29 - Nov 4. It would be great to see folks from bosslab and / or host a more general diybio-meetup for anyone interested that's coming into town for iGEM. Perhaps we could plan something for Saturday or Sunday night? Or Friday?

Cheers
Mac

primavera

Oct 22, 2013, 10:28:22 PM10/22/13
to diybio...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
I was at the Boston ScienceHackDay last week, and I have heard a lot about the Bosslab. I have a project that I would like to carry on there, but I have been told the lab is kindof "stalled". i would be really interested to meet up with you guys and figure out how we can get things started again !
I'm available pretty much anytime, so let's figure out what's the best time to meet all together  ;)

Dakota Hamill

Oct 24, 2013, 12:20:21 PM10/24/13
to diybio...@googlegroups.com
Yeah I'd be down to meet up and grab some food or hang around the lab and chat.  Good to see some people I havn't seen for a while.

Connor Dickie

Oct 24, 2013, 2:18:13 PM10/24/13
to diybio...@googlegroups.com
Same here - I'm coming to town for the iGEM jamboree as well and would love to hang out and share stories from our DIYBio groups in Canada.

Regards,

Connor

Mackenzie Cowell

Oct 24, 2013, 10:40:56 PM10/24/13
to diybio...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys, let's make this happen!

I am going to announce a global "diybio 101" project later in November and I want to talk about it with you all in person.

I'm free on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night.

I encourage a meetup on sat or fri to make it easy for all the igem peeks in town that might be interested.

Avery or Dakota, can we meet at bosslab? Or in a bar?

Mac

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 12:48 PM, brianc...@yahoo.com <brianc...@yahoo.com> wrote:
How've you all been? Hope you're well, not too busy and just a little bored, so that you'll want to meet on the second Sunday at 3pm again, on November 9th, at Sprout, to re-connect.

One of us could present on their own or others' research, and we could think together about accomplished research's impacts and implications, or proposed research's best strategy.

Unless one of us has a more pressing idea, I could present about the Center for Open Science, and The Open Science Project. These similar-sounding sites are actually quite distinct; I'm eager to hear your thinking on them.

How's that sound? (Or, do any of us have research, done or considered, yours or others, that you'd really like to hear our thoughts on?)

Looking forward to catching up with you all and your news,

Mac Cowell / @100ideas / +1.231.313.9062 /  DIYbio.org

Dakota Hamill

Oct 28, 2013, 3:13:32 PM10/28/13
to diybio...@googlegroups.com
Friday or Saturday is better than Thursday since I don't have to worry about how late I get home since no work Saturday/Sunday morning.   I'd be down to get a beer or food after.  Maybe meeting at Bosslab to start would be good since if people don't want to drink or eat they can skip that part.

Friday would be better for me as I can leave right from work and head into Sommerville.  I usually get out around 5pm so getting in there by 6 or 6:30 wouldn't be a problem.  7 at the latest if for some reason something keeps me longer but that usually doesn't happen on a Friday.

Friday November 1st @ 6:30-7pm @ Bosslab ?

Mac Cowell

Oct 28, 2013, 4:15:20 PM10/28/13
to diybio...@googlegroups.com, Avery louie
Hey all,

so how about it - a diybio / igem meetup Friday November 1st @ 6:30-7pm @ Bosslab? We could order a pizza. Drinks in Davis sq afterward?

Mac

Connor Dickie

Oct 25, 2013, 12:07:43 PM10/25/13
to diybio...@googlegroups.com
+1 vote for Saturday.

Looking forward to it!

Connor

Lyre Calliope

Oct 25, 2013, 2:06:10 PM10/25/13
to diybio...@googlegroups.com
If not at Bosslab, the upstairs section of Meadhall might be a great option given its proximity to igem. If a lot of people would be interested, we might consider seeing if reserving the room upstairs is a possibility.

-Lyre

Lyre Calliope

Oct 28, 2013, 4:20:28 PM10/28/13
to diybio...@googlegroups.com, Avery louie

Jason Bobe

Oct 28, 2013, 4:52:21 PM10/28/13
to diybio-boston, Avery louie
I should be able to come by for a bit on Friday evening too.

Jason Bobe

Alex Hoekstra

Oct 28, 2013, 6:25:02 PM10/28/13
to diybio...@googlegroups.com, Avery louie
Saturday sounds better to me, but I might be able to swing Friday too.

Dakota Hamill

Oct 28, 2013, 6:45:35 PM10/28/13
to diybio...@googlegroups.com, Avery louie
I could go either day if it makes it easier for others.  What's that website people always throw up that let you vote on things to see the consensus

primavera

Oct 29, 2013, 6:44:40 AM10/29/13
to diybio...@googlegroups.com, Avery louie
I will be coming to BossLab on Friday Nov 1st @ 6:30 - yay !

Dakota Hamill

Oct 29, 2013, 9:48:22 AM10/29/13
to diybio...@googlegroups.com
Ok I'm in on Friday then, scratch Saturday as I'll be going away

Thomas Evans

Oct 29, 2013, 5:14:57 PM10/29/13
to diybio...@googlegroups.com, brianc...@yahoo.com
Look forward to meeting everyone on Friday.  We should get the Bosslab site updated to indicate we are having this meet and greet.

Avery louie

Oct 29, 2013, 6:48:04 PM10/29/13
to diybio...@googlegroups.com
count me in, as usual.  I will update the site.

--A

cluckj

Oct 31, 2013, 10:28:34 AM10/31/13
to diybio...@googlegroups.com
I'll try to be there, too.

Shakeib Afzal

Oct 31, 2013, 4:56:31 PM10/31/13
to diybio...@googlegroups.com
Can't do Friday or Saturday unfortunately, but look forward to other meetings.

Connor Dickie

Oct 31, 2013, 5:29:39 PM10/31/13
to diybio...@googlegroups.com
I'll be arriving in Boston late tomorrow afternoon and am looking forward to meeting up!

Is the address still 339r Summer Street, Somerville MA. ?

Regards,

Connor

Dakota Hamill

Nov 1, 2013, 5:37:30 PM11/1/13
to diybio...@googlegroups.com
going to head in there in 5 minutes from Beverly, hopefully traffic isn't too bad

Lyre Calliope

Nov 1, 2013, 6:29:53 PM11/1/13
to diybio...@googlegroups.com

I believe I'm the first one here. Let me know if any of you are at a place that isn't where I am. :)

-Lyre

Connor Dickie

Nov 2, 2013, 12:21:55 PM11/2/13
to diybio...@googlegroups.com
Hey gang,

So sad that I missed last night's meet-up. I had scheduled my flight to get in on time, but the TSA had different plans for me. I finally got into Cambridge pretty late.

I'm hanging out at the iGEM event this weekend and will be in town until late on Tuesday. Any chance there will be another opportunity to meet for a drink or just a chat?

First drink is on me :-)

Connor

P.S. I just got a USA number:  +1 (617) 987-7640

Mackenzie Cowell

Nov 2, 2013, 12:29:22 PM11/2/13
to diybio...@googlegroups.com, diybio...@googlegroups.com
I'm at the jamboree too, let's grab a drink tonight.

Mac

Sent from my rotary phone

Connor Dickie

Nov 2, 2013, 1:34:17 PM11/2/13
to diybio...@googlegroups.com, diybio...@googlegroups.com
Awesome. Maybe after the FBI session?

Also, for those who don't have a pass to iGEM; there is an open house on Monday from 3pm to 6pm. I think this gives you access to the posters in the Stata Center. Not sure what else.

Connor

Sent from mobile device

Lyre Calliope

Nov 4, 2013, 2:43:35 PM11/4/13
to diybio...@googlegroups.com
It was great meeting many of you the other night! I'm looking forward to helping rekindle BossLab in the coming weeks and months. :)

For those who may be available this evening, a bunch of us (including Connor) are getting together tonight at MeadHall around 6pm. Info here: http://www.meetup.com/Mozilla-Boston/events/149137532/