Anyone have some simple supplies?

lia r

Nov 8, 2014, 8:07:58 PM11/8/14
to diybio...@googlegroups.com
I'm going to be doing a standard plating experiment with the kids at
Parts and Crafts in Somerville. I need a pretty small volume of
sterile petri dishes, loops, and ideally nutrient agar. Do any of you
know where I can buy these things locally or want to sell me some?
Also, does anyone have a small incubator cabinet they'd be willing to
loan for two weeks?

Avery louie

Nov 9, 2014, 4:13:27 PM11/9/14
to diybio...@googlegroups.com
Hey Lia,

I would recommend buying plates etc. from either Carolina biological or from phenix research.  How much do you need?  More than happy to help you build a shopping cart.  Also, you can use the autoclave at BOSSLAB for sterilization and disposal-depending on how many plates you need, it may make sense to pour your own instead of buying pre poured.  Depending on the organism, you may not need to incubate it.  Actually, if you are doing an environmental isolation, you probably don't want to incubate it to avoid growing any pathogens that are particularly fond of growing in warm mammals.

--A

Dakota Hamill

Nov 9, 2014, 8:20:28 PM11/9/14
to diybio...@googlegroups.com
What are you trying to do exactly and when?  I just poured a boatload of NA plates but I might not have a car soon so trucking them in via backpack and MBTA might not work.