week 2: thoughts

Joe Corneli

Sep 22, 2010, 5:15:12 PM9/22/10
to diy-...@googlegroups.com
Hi All:

Towards the end of the week it got a bit quiet here: I wonder if
people are feeling overwhelmed, underwhelmed, lost, or... fantastic?
I do hope everyone has found some material that's interesting.

I also want to remind you about the peer support aspect of the course.
It's really important if you get stuck to say something about it. If
things are going great, that would be nice to hear about too.

Also, I think it's OK to discuss topics like "I've had a hard time
finding time to look at the material." It would be great to hear ANY
reflections, actually. So, how is it going folks?

For me: I got ahold of a cool book that a friend of mine in a
statistics Ph. D. program recommended to me ("Bayesian Data Analysis"
by Gelman el al.). So far I've only made it to page 12 of the book
and I haven't even gotten to the chapter 1 exercises yet! I'm
planning to put more time in on the book in the upcoming week(s): I'll
try to make it the first thing I look at when I get in to my office.
An hour or two a day will certainly make an impact. :)

(The best way to teach yourself a new habit is to attach the "new"
habit to an already-existing habit, or so I've heard.)

So, I'll be especially keen to talk with anyone who is looking at
problems in probability and/or statistics! (Thanks, Charlie, for
making the central list of interests, and I see there that stats is on
your radar...) But I sincerely look forward to hearing from all of
you soon.

Best,
Joe