DIXPRS on GitHub

Bela Markus

Nov 18, 2013, 3:12:20 AM11/18/13
to dix...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

DIXPRS development moved to GitHub:

https://github.com/ha5di/

You can download releases from https://github.com/ha5di/DIXPRS/releases
and follow actual changes, latest development version. There were few
internal development version after v2.2.2 as you may see in the air,
however these were not released and used only to test different ideas
(good and bad). To make situation clean, the development version at
GitHub is 2.5.x

Regards... Bela, HA5DI

Ray Wells

Nov 18, 2013, 3:35:39 AM11/18/13
to dix...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bela,

Thank you for the ongoing development of dixprs.

Regards,
Ray vk2tv

BTW, I am no longer using the RPi due to wifi reliability problems. The
current system is on a 600MHz P3 with 512M RAM. Radio interfaces are
with a Baycom USCC>4, 4 port ISA card under kernel ax25.

Bela Markus

Nov 18, 2013, 4:44:36 AM11/18/13
to dix...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ray,

we are reusing also old Baycom cards in the network, they works fine as
long as you have an old PC with exotic ISA slots :)

Maybe you heard already about Tiny Core Linux (TC). It is a unique
distribution, not a derivate of o Big Broter. It is small, fast and has
unique features making it ideal for embbeded like systems like a DIXPRS
digi or for experiments. Home page:

http://tinycorelinux.net/

More info:

http://distrowatch.org/?newsid=08051

I'm working on the official Raspberry Pi port, called piCore. After a
bit more than one year development it is on release candidate status,
close to offisial release. It comes with Linux kernel 3.11.7 and up to
date packages. It is great for HAM radip applications, like DIXPRS, DX
CLUSTER, ... You may take a look on it, and as its creator I can help.
Take a look at

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/board,57.0.html

An example of its use as an appliance:

https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home/news

There are piCore users with many experience with WiFi also.

If you have some time it is worth to get familiar with piCore where you
have installed only what you need and you have full control over your
system.

Regards... Bela, HA5DI

2013.11.18. 9:35 keltez�ssel, Ray Wells �rta:

Ray Wells

Nov 21, 2013, 4:34:47 AM11/21/13
to dix...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bela,

My search for a motherboard with an ISA slot took me to Ebay where I
grabbed an old Asus P3 board with a 600MHz processor. New P4
motherboards are available for industrial applications but they are
quite expensive and I really don't need a P4 machine for the gateway.
The Baycom USCC>4 is a fine piece of hardware, it's just a pity about
the ISA slot although a PCI base board was manufactured. However, Linux
performance is reported to be unreliable.

I've not heard of tinycorelinux until now but I will look out of
curiosity. I've always used Debian, either vanilla or in 'buntu based
variants. I'm now moving away from 'buntu and using pure Debian. it has
its peculiarities but I'm mostly used to them after near 20 years.

Regards,
Ray vk2tv