Round 3464: ODOURET results

Paul Keating

Jul 13, 2024, 4:41:28 AM (6 days ago) Jul 13
to dixo...@googlegroups.com, Shani Naylor

Shani Naylor’s glabella was in contention with Mike Shefler’s seine net for most of the voting, but she also guessed correctly and is dealer of the upcoming round with a score of 5 + 2 = 7*, leaving Mike placed second with a natural 5.

The OED’s definition ‘a faint smell’ (#2) is based on a single citation, from Leigh Hunt (1784–1859), a celebrated Romantic poet, essayist and critic, in a translation he made in 1825 of a poem by Italian polymath Francesco Redi (1626–1697), called Bacchus in Tuscany. Besides being a poet who could celebrate everyday pleasures, Redi was a physician and a biologist, and was the first person to challenge the theory of spontaneous generation by demonstrating that maggots come from the eggs of flies. Hunt’s translation goes

He makes very sweet perfumes,

And fumigations for your rooms;

He makes powderets,

He makes odourets,

And all for certain marvellously;

Taking the word in context, I have my doubts about the definition, because it seems to me that Hunt had in mind not the smell, but the thing smelt: a pomander, maybe. So I think Glenn Davis’s #9 was closer to the mark. Be that as it may, two players thought it was a good definition and voted for it.

In my announcement I said that the definition ‘a faint smell’ was to be found in two dictionaries. That has now become three. Urban Dictionary gives the word the same definition as OED3 does. So does Wiktionary, with a cautionary note about insufficient attestation, which is quite justified, since the OED reckons it’s a hapax legomenon.

Feel free to speculate about where those other two dictionary entries came from.

1

Colorless.

Vote from Glenn Davis

Submitted by: Johnny Barrs, who voted for 3, 4. Score: 1.

2

A faint smell.

Votes from Judy Madnick, Shani Naylor

Real Definition. Score: D2.

3

A type of early flush toilet.

Votes from Johnny Barrs, Efrem Mallach, Nancy Shepherdson, Dan Widdis

Submitted by: Tony Abell, who did not vote. Score: 4.

4

The smooth prominence between the eyebrows.

Votes from Johnny Barrs, Dave Cunningham, Tim Lodge, Mike Shefler, Nancy Shepherdson

Submitted by: Shani Naylor, who voted for 2, 9. Score: 5+2=7*.

5

_Orkney._ a small wool seine for catching fish in a stream.

Votes from Tim Bourne, Dave Cunningham, Glenn Davis, Tim Lodge, Efrem Mallach

Submitted by: Mike Shefler, who voted for 4, 8. Score: 5.

6

A small perfume bottle containing less than 4 fluid scruples.

No votes

Submitted by: Dave Cunningham, who voted for 4, 5.

7

A faint or subtle scent, especially one that is barely perceptible.

No votes

Submitted by: Dan Widdis, who voted for 3, 9.

8

Any of several Romanian red wines, such as Băbească Neagră or Fetească Neagră.

Votes from Tim Bourne, Mike Shefler

Submitted by: Efrem Mallach, who voted for 3, 5. Score: 2.

9

A small case containing smelling salts, usually worn on a bracelet or necklace.

Votes from Debbie Embler, Shani Naylor, Dan Widdis

Submitted by: Glenn Davis, who voted for 1, 5. Score: 3.

10

A material that has a strong smell, especially one that is added deliberately to a material that does not.

Votes from Debbie Embler, Judy Madnick

Submitted by: Judy Madnick, who voted for 2, 10. Score: 1+2=3*.

11

A non-lethal weapon used for crowd control by the Israel Defense Forces and marketed to militaries and law enforcement around the world.

No votes

Submitted by: Debbie Embler, who voted for 9, 10.

No definition from Tim Lodge, who voted for 4, 5.

No definition from Tim Bourne, who voted for 5, 8.

No definition from Nancy Shepherdson, who voted for 3, 4.

Def no

Player

Voted for

Votes from

Score from votes

Correct guess

Total

4

Naylor

2, 9

Barrs, Cunningham, Lodge, Shefler, Shepherdson

5

2

7

5

Shefler

4, 8

Bourne, Cunningham, Davis, Lodge, Mallach

5

5

3

Abell

DNV

Barrs, Mallach, Shepherdson, Widdis

4

4

9

Davis

1, 5

Embler, Naylor, Widdis

3

3

10

Madnick

2, 10

Embler, Madnick

1

2

3

8

Mallach

3, 5

Bourne, Shefler

2

2

1

Barrs

3, 4

Davis

1

1

6

Cunningham

4, 5

0

No definition

Lodge

4, 5

0

7

Widdis

3, 9

0

No definition

Shepherdson

3, 4

0

11

Embler

9, 10

0

No definition

Bourne

5, 8

0

Judy Madnick

Jul 13, 2024, 6:59:00 AM (6 days ago) Jul 13
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I voted for 2 and 7, not 10.

Judy

Judy
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Paul Keating

Jul 13, 2024, 7:29:35 AM (6 days ago) Jul 13
to Dixonary
I can't get my revised score table to look sensible in the group, but my mail client renders it just fine, so I'm hoping everyone else's will too.