Round 3462 JIIBRAAN time to vote!

Glenn Thomas Davis

Jul 3, 2024, 6:27:39 PMJul 3
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Here are 13 fantastical definitions of JIIBRAAN, one of which is drawn from an English dictionary… I promise!! Please submit 2 incredulous votes by 3 PM PDT, July 5, 2024 C.E. and may God have mercy on your souls.

1. An Indian curry dish using  paneer made from milk fermented with massaaga (green amaranth) and a sauce made by cooking ilish (hilsa) fish in mangosteen.

2. [Farsi] A balladeer.

3. A censer for burning incense.

4. A traditional Jordanian dish featuring lamb over rice with jameed (yogurt) sauce.

5. A person who like planes and golf.

6. An ethnic minority of Sudan.

7. A system for transporting water from an aquifer or water well to the surface through an underground aqueduct.

8. In the desert, the coldest part of the night.

9. An Arab dagger with a curved blade.

10. A prized hardwood from the kwaakatipu tree.

11. In ancient folklore, a legendary being believed to act as a protector of forests, often depicted as a wise and benevolent spirit.

12. [Arab.] During the Hajj, the practice of symbolically stoning the devil by throwing stones at 3 pillars.

13. Used as an exclamation imparting magical power; in extended use, connoting any sudden transformation or happening [an invented word uttered by genies in Burton’s Arabian Nights (1885) and subsequently taken up in American medicine shows].

—Glenn

. . .
The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be kindled.
—Plutarch

collect (null)

Jul 3, 2024, 8:39:20 PMJul 3
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
11 maybe and 13 for sheer length.

Dave

Sent from my iPad

John Barrs

Jul 4, 2024, 3:52:11 AMJul 4
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
#11 and #12 please

JohnnyB

Shani Naylor

Jul 4, 2024, 6:38:06 AMJul 4
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
9 & 12 for me.

Paul Keating

Jul 4, 2024, 7:24:33 AMJul 4
to Dixonary
I shall admit to having been taken in by 1 and 11.

1. An Indian curry dish using  paneer made from milk fermented with massaaga (green amaranth) and a sauce made by cooking ilish (hilsa) fish in mangosteen.

11. In ancient folklore, a legendary being believed to act as a protector of forests, often depicted as a wise and benevolent spirit.

Chowie

Jul 4, 2024, 8:30:35 AMJul 4
to Dixonary
2 and 9 please

Bending beneath His mercies,
Debbie E.

France International/Mike Shefler

Jul 4, 2024, 9:39:20 AMJul 4
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll go for 11 and 13.

--Mike

Judy Madnick

Jul 4, 2024, 9:53:28 AMJul 4
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
For no good reason at all:

2. [Farsi] A balladeer.
and

Tim Lodge

Jul 4, 2024, 12:51:03 PMJul 4
to Dixonary
12 and 13, please, although there were some good ones on the way.

          12. [Arab.] During the Hajj, the practice of symbolically stoning the devil by throwing stones at 3 pillars.

          13. Used as an exclamation imparting magical power; in extended use, connoting any sudden transformation or happening [an invented word uttered by genies in Burton’s Arabian Nights (1885) and subsequently taken up in American medicine shows].

— Tim L

Tim B

Jul 4, 2024, 1:27:05 PMJul 4
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
9 and 12, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Tony Abell

Jul 4, 2024, 7:11:33 PMJul 4
to Glenn Thomas Davis

I'll vote for the unpopular and utterly unbelievable 7 and the plausible 12:

> 7. A system for transporting water from an aquifer or water well to the
> surface through an underground aqueduct.

Daniel B Widdis

Jul 5, 2024, 12:00:15 AMJul 5
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
9 and 12

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 3, 2024, at 3:27 PM, Glenn Thomas Davis <gl...@gdcreative.com> wrote:

nancygoat

Jul 5, 2024, 1:51:54 AM (14 days ago) Jul 5
to Dixonary
I'll take 2 and 12.
Nancy

Efrem Mallach

Jul 5, 2024, 11:07:15 AM (14 days ago) Jul 5
to 'Tim Lodge' via Dixonary
The tendency seems to be to vote for higher-numbered defs, for whatever reason. I won't argue with that, though I won't go as far as some others did either. 8 and 10.

Efrem

On Jul 3, 2024, at 6:27 PM, Glenn Thomas Davis <gl...@gdcreative.com> wrote:

Here are 13 fantastical definitions of JIIBRAAN, one of which is drawn from an English dictionary… I promise!! Please submit 2 incredulous votes by 3 PM PDT, July 5, 2024 C.E. and may God have mercy on your souls.

8. In the desert, the coldest part of the night.

Paul Keating

Jul 5, 2024, 11:12:25 AM (14 days ago) Jul 5
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Efrem,

Are you voting for the def numbers in your first paragraph, or for the actual definitions in the edited quoteback?

Efrem Mallach wrote on 2024-07-05 17:06:
The tendency seems to be to vote for higher-numbered defs, for whatever reason. I won't argue with that, though I won't go as far as some others did either. 8 and 10.
8. In the desert, the coldest part of the night.
12. [Arab.] During the Hajj, the practice of symbolically stoning the devil by throwing stones at 3 pillars.

--
Paul Keating
Soustons, Nouvelle Aquitaine, France

Efrem Mallach

Jul 5, 2024, 11:13:42 AM (14 days ago) Jul 5
to 'Tim Lodge' via Dixonary
Thanks for catching the typo, Paul. I'm voting for 8 and 12 as in red text.

Efrem