Round 3333: JA WELL NO FINE [Results]

Paul Keating

Mar 17, 2023, 2:32:28 AM3/17/23
to Dixonary Group

This is the first time I’ve dealt a round that called for fake definitions of an expression that I use myself in ordinary conversation. Note to self: don’t do that!

I could already see what was coming when two players came up with similar definitions, so it was little surprise when three of the first four ballots correctly identified #3 as the real definition, with an ultimate tally of D7. ‹sigh› Ja well no fine.

What I did not know, and was astounded to discover, is that the DSAE dates the phrase to 1978 and attributes it to veteran South African broadcaster Ronnie Wilson. So, although it’s genuinely South African, it’s not one you’ll come across in Rider Haggard, John Buchan, Percy FitzPatrick or Laurens van der Post.

While it was clear from the start which definition would attract the most votes, the lead in the scoring remained in doubt until the last. Debbie Embler’s Jamaican “all’s well” (#5) is the winner with 4 votes, and there are two runners-up with unnatural scores of 4, Judy Madnick and Tim Lodge.

1. South African. an expression of remorse for a trivial transgression

Submitted by Tim Lodge who voted for 3 & 5

Score: 2 + 2 = 4

2. South African. a polite expression of disagreement that allows the speaker to come across as affable and tactful, as a way to continue dialogue without causing offence

Submitted by Shani Naylor who voted for 4 & 5

Score: 2

3. South African. used to indicate a non-committal, resigned, or ironic response or reaction; alright, that’s life, whatever you say, whatever [name of SABC radio series, 1978]

Real Definition

Score: D7

4. Slang. expressing uncertainty to another person before making a commitment or decision, oftentimes of a personal matter

Submitted by Nadi Kay who voted for 7 & 8

Score: 2

5. whimsical Jamaican saying that means “all is well that ends well”

Submitted by Debbie Embler who voted for 1 & 10

Score: 4

6. a form of performance art enacted at work, or in family situations, that involves mocking comments or gestures as a way of shaming people publicly

Submitted by Dan Widdis who voted for 9 & 10

7. a Pennsylvania Dutch stew consisting primarily of potatoes, carrots, and turnips, with a small amount of meat

Submitted by Efrem Mallach who voted for 1 & 3

Score: 1 + 2 = 3

8. slang from gold mining meaning there isn’t even any dust

Submitted by John Barrs who voted for 3 & 4

Score: 1 + 2 = 3

9. a play on words so subtle that no one appreciates it

Submitted by Mike Shefler who voted for 3 & 5

Score: 1 + 2 = 3

10. something utterly senseless; nonsense

Submitted by Judy Madnick who voted for 2 & 3

Score: 2 + 2 = 4

Player

Definition

Vote 1