Round 3168 TRABOCCANT Defs - Vote Now!

Tim Lodge

May 21, 2021, 4:44:33 PM5/21/21
to Dixonary
Here we have 13 imaginative defs of the word TRABOCCANT, only one of which comes from my dictionary.  Please vote for your two favourites by public reply to this message before the deadline, which is:

        09:00 UTC/GMT on Saturday 22nd May
        10:00 BST in London
        11:00 CET in France and the Netherlands
         5:00 AM EST in New York
         2:00 AM PST in California
        21:00 NZDT in New Zealand

New players are welcome - just don't look up the word until after you've voted.

--  Tim L

 *** TRABOCCANT ***

 1.     A Calabrese wine.
 2.     An impoverished person; a pauper.
 3.     an unskilled worker or day-laborer.
 4.     An Italian game of chance, played with dice.
 5.     [S. Ital] songs from, or about, fishing villages
 6.     [Obs. rare] superabundant, excessive; preponderant.
 7.     a trade negotiator between papal states in medieval Italy.
 8.     The person who pumped the bellows of an organ when this was still done by hand.
 9.     in Lyons, a person familiar with the passageways (traboules) that link many older buildings.
10.     [rare] of wind, or people: coming from the east; as opposed to _tramontane_, from the north [Ital.]
11.     A tide gate, designed to protect marshland, constructed to let out water at low tide and prevent an influx of water at high tide.
12.     [Mach.] a gear resembling in general a spur gear, but having its teeth cut at an angle with its axis, or so that they form small portions of screws or spirals.
13.     An alerting device which makes you aware of sounds, such as the doorbell or a ringing phone, and is used to overcome the negative effects of distance, poor room acoustics, and background noise.

France International/Mike Shefler

May 21, 2021, 4:50:13 PM5/21/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll go with 9 and 11,

--Mike

Efrem G Mallach

May 21, 2021, 4:50:40 PM5/21/21
to 'Mike Shefler' via Dixonary
Tim,

That deadline is just over 12 hours away. Care to extend it?

TIA,

Efrem

amal...@comcast.net

May 21, 2021, 4:52:11 PM5/21/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

To which I might add, 12 hours during most of which most residents of the Eastern United States are eating or sleeping.

Alan

Efrem G Mallach

May 21, 2021, 4:55:23 PM5/21/21
to 'Mike Shefler' via Dixonary
Now that you mention it, since time frame in question is 9:50 pm to 10 am there, so are most residents of the UK.

Efrem

=======================

Tim B

May 21, 2021, 5:00:08 PM5/21/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
2 and 3, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Tim Lodge

May 21, 2021, 5:23:11 PM5/21/21
to Dixonary
Well spotted, Efrem!  Of course I meant Sunday.

        09:00 UTC/GMT on Sunday 23rd May

        10:00 BST in London
        11:00 CET in France and the Netherlands
         5:00 AM EST in New York
         2:00 AM PST in California
        21:00 NZDT in New Zealand

--  Tim L

Debbie Embler

May 21, 2021, 6:11:47 PM5/21/21
to Dixonary
I like 2 and 3 also

--
~Bending under the weight of His mercies~

Daniel B Widdis

May 21, 2021, 6:23:07 PM5/21/21
to Dixonary

I’m amused at a word meaning “preponderant” also being “[rare]”.

And I find the etymology of the passageway expert convincing.

6 and 9.

Judy Madnick

May 21, 2021, 6:30:53 PM5/21/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
 7.     a trade negotiator between papal states in medieval Italy.
 8.     The person who pumped the bellows of an organ when this was still done by hand.

Judy Madnick

Shani Naylor

May 21, 2021, 9:32:47 PM5/21/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll try the sort of similar 2 & 3.

 2.     An impoverished person; a pauper.
 3.     an unskilled worker or day-laborer.

Paul Keating

May 22, 2021, 3:12:19 AM5/22/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
6 & 11 for me.

Johnb - co.uk

May 22, 2021, 6:19:31 AM5/22/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
#6 and #8 fro me please
JohnnyB

Efrem G Mallach

amal...@comcast.net

May 22, 2021, 8:03:11 PM5/22/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

Notwithstanding Efrem’s dictum, it just might be Italian-derived. But what?  I’ll try 4 and 6.

Alan

nancygoat

May 23, 2021, 12:14:51 AM5/23/21
to Dixonary
Having no idea: 11 and 12.

Nancy

Ryan McGill

May 23, 2021, 5:24:48 AM5/23/21
to Dixonary
5 and 13

amal...@comcast.net

May 23, 2021, 1:12:19 PM5/23/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

For the record, having verified with my trusty Sansoni dictionary, Traboccant does come from the Italian Trabbocante, meaning overflowing, or boiling over. ‘tra-‘ is occasionally used in Italian as a rough equivalent of English ‘trans-‘, such as trapassare, to transfix or pierce through (e.g., with a sword).

Alan