Round 3461 - FISH DIVE - time to vote!

Shani Naylor

Jun 30, 2024, 5:32:08 AMJun 30
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

Hi all

We have 12 definitions of our word FISH DIVE, one of which came from a dictionary. Please vote for two before the deadline, or let me know if you are DQ.

1.       [Astron] The little dipper constellation.

2.       (slang) Broadly, a fraudulent business practice.

3.       To dispose of a corpse by dumping it in the ocean.

4.       Informally, any dive in (open or closed) pike position.

5.       An act of tumbling head over heels; a heavy fall, esp. from a horse.

6.       In a fishing port, a cheap restaurant, often in a basement, serving dishes based on locally-caught fish.

7.       In poker, a tactic where a player intentionally loses early hands to mislead others about their skill level.

8.       A 30-meter (98-foot) dive with abundant marine life and strong currents that often require a reef hook.

9.       Gambling slang for a person who raises bets during a losing streak, in the belief that the streak must end.

10.   A technique in parkour where a traceur runs partway up a wall and does a back flip while reversing direction.

11.   (Ballet) A position in which a dancer is caught and supported by a partner with head and shoulders just clear of the floor.

12.   A receptacle containing the counters, called fish, representing stakes in a game of cards, esp. quadrille; also called pool, pool-dish.

The deadline is midday Tuesday 2 July (NZT), which is 38 and a half hours from now.

Los Angeles, CA, USA
Mon, 1 Jul 2024 5:00 p.m.

New York, NY, USA
Mon, 1 Jul 2024 8:00 p.m.

London, United Kingdom
Tue, 2 Jul 2024 1:00 a.m.

Paris, France
Tue, 2 Jul 2024 2:00 a.m.

Paul Keating

Jun 30, 2024, 6:54:13 AMJun 30
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I started by eliminating definitions that have to do with sports called “diving”. I went through again and discarded disreputable places or practices, and faked falls. Then there are two part-of-speech mismatches, and two definitions too maladroit to be likely. I’m still left with more than two, so I’ll take the five-and-dime approach.

--
Paul Keating
Soustons, Nouvelle Aquitaine, France

You can find the answer to most questions about Dixonary at
dixonary.net which has been hosted at Google Sites since May 2007.

Chowie

Jun 30, 2024, 8:02:15 AMJun 30
to Dixonary
3 and 7 please.

Bending beneath His mercies,
Debbie E.

Collect47

Jun 30, 2024, 8:38:15 AMJun 30
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
2 and 7 …

Dave

Sent from my iPad

Judy Madnick

Jun 30, 2024, 9:22:51 AMJun 30
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

4.       Informally, any dive in (open or closed) pike position.

5.       An act of tumbling head over heels; a heavy fall, esp. from a horse.

Judy Madnick

Tim Lodge

Jun 30, 2024, 10:31:30 AMJun 30
to Dixonary
I tried to come up with a fake def involving the Poisson distribution in mathematical,  but couldn't get it to sound genuine.  I'll go for 10 qnd 12.

10.   A technique in parkour where a traceur runs partway up a wall and does a back flip while reversing direction.

12.   A receptacle containing the counters, called fish, representing stakes in a game of cards, esp. quadrille; also called pool, pool-dish.-

- Tim L

France International/Mike Shefler

Jun 30, 2024, 11:05:43 AMJun 30
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll vote for 5 and 12.

--MIke

Glenn Thomas Davis

Jun 30, 2024, 6:06:35 PMJun 30
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Gotta vote for something... I'll try 1 and 9.

—Glenn

. . .
The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be kindled.
—Plutarch

On Sun, Jun 30, 2024 at 8:05 AM 'France International/Mike Shefler' via Dixonary <dixo...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I'll vote for 5 and 12.

--MIke